• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

$100 in BB Gift Cards- what vidcard to buy?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Sly5

Registered
For my upcoming birthday I will be receiving approximately $100 in Best Buy gift cards. I currently have a Visiontek Xtasy 32mb GTS-V vidcard so I figure it is a good time to upgrade. I do play some games (Medal of Honor breakthrough and NHL 2004 mostly) but I'm not an "avid" gamer. Is it worth it for me to upgrade?

I was looking at the PNY Geforce FX 5200 128mb AGP. Any other recommendations?

Here's the link to the BB vidcard page.
Thanks.....
»www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?id=ca..[?]

there is an ati radeon 9600 on the site, although it is currently sold out. it sells for $169 before $20 MIR. any thoughts on this card?

the 5200 non-Ultra is a shady card...terrible is more like it actually, heh.

The 9600 non-Pro isnt a very good performer either, but i guess since you have to buy retail, that would be the best available to you (unless your willing to go for the Pro, and if thats the case, just wait till next month and get the XT for the same price, lol)

you think the XT will go down that much in the next month?

nealric said:
If you are willing to spend another 150- bb sells the 9800pro (excellent card) for 250 or so.

Definetly dont get the 5200- no good at all.

Yea if you can splurge for a 9800NP I think it will last you a long time.

Or spend a bit more and get a 9600pro. I don't think any cards in the $100 range are worth buying right now.

thanks for the advice guys....i have roughly 3 weeks til my birthday so i'll see if BB gets anything worthwhile. if not, looks like i'm getting $100 worth of dvd-r's for my new burner.

Sly5 said:
you think the XT will go down that much in the next month?

It wont go down at all. Currently the 9600 Pro retails in those stores for about $179, which is only $20 cheaper then what the 9600XT will retail at ($199), and in the end, you get much more for that $20 (faster card, and a free $50 game). So if you are willing to buy a Pro for $179, i would recomend waiting till next month and buying an XT instead. Hell, even if you dont want HL2, when you get it sell it on e-bay for $30 and in the end the package is cheaper :D

Last edited:
If Newegg's reintroduction of the Radeon 9800 Non-Pro 128MB is shipping again, and at lower prices then before ($243). One should consider that if they really want R3xx Power (9700/9800 Pro).

Speed_Mechanic2 said:
If Newegg's reintroduction of the Radeon 9800 Non-Pro 128MB is shipping again, and at lower prices then before ($243). One should consider that if they really want R3xx Power (9700/9800 Pro).

That kinda defeats the ability to use $100 in Best Buy cards though ;)

Thanks for all of your input. I think I'm going to avoid scratching that itch I will undoubtedly get to use those gift cards right away. instead i'll wait til around Christmas to see what kind of deals BB will have hopefully by then they'll have the 9600XT in stock for a decent sale price.....

another option i just thought of was checking out BB's open box deals. any thoughts on that? pros/cons?

Those guys cant tell

If the cards have overclocked. I returned an overclocked card because i didnt like it. The card was fine, but they couldnt tell it was oc before. Thats the con, the pro is its sometimes 30 bucks cheaper than an un opened one.

Undoubtably the XT will be on sale by xmas. I got my 9600pro on sale from them for $149. Also if you have a compusa around, And you are gonna wait till xmas anyway and spend cash? Go there. They have alot better sales. And not as many mail in rebates. man i hate rebates!

Good luck.

Harry

good points harry.....

i'd love to just go to newegg and get the best deal. but i can't exactly tell friends and fam to give me cold hard cash as a gift. they will want to give me BB gift cards, so i'm kinda stuck.

hey, anyone wanna buy some BB gift cards? never used! LOL:D

If BB had something i needed i would LOL

But they dont sorry. Just started shoping online at newegg and love it!

harry

Back