• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Gripe: Solaris & ZFS

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

{PMS}fishy

First let me start with Solaris has to be the worst operating system ever. Worse than HP-UX which is pretty terrible by itself. Then we get onto the ZFS part, ugh, so hokey. I wasted my entire day trying to get them to play nice. I finally just got sick of it not working the way it was suppose to and made a bunch of folders and put symlinks in them for the actual device I wanted to add. (ZFS allows you to specify the directory path of a device, but not the actual device.)

So unless anyone can tell me how to add a ZFS partition to an existing zpool without "tricking" it, I'd be a happy admin again. What really gets me is that it lets you specify the path of the exact device you want to add when creating a new zpool, but not when adding a device. It just scans down the /dev/dsk tree and grabs whatever it finds.

Oh ZFS how I hate you. On that note, I'm going home and having a nice cold beer.

Let me talk to the guys in work, we deal with ZFS all the time. I just focus on systems monitoring, so all I really know how to do is replace a failed disk. But I agree Solaris, is the worst OS, its the bane of many Admins existence.

One thing that comes to mind is that you can't add a disk or partition to a root pool

If this is not the case you should be able to use zpool add <yourpool> <your partition>

Not having a solaris machine in front of me I don't know if that command would be right, but the man page should help you.

Back