• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

3570k Isn't Running as Hot as Expected

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Well, I wasn't quite stable at that setting; P95 quit working at around 55 minutes of a 1 hour run. I just bumped vcore up to 1.17v and will restart P95 and see how it goes again.

well throwing more volts through it to reach 4.5 made it a little hotter. it's at 1.240 v

30ll269.png.jpg

So you say 80C at 4.5 Ghz at such low volts is not hot?, c'mon man get real:screwy:, most SB chips runs 20-30C less on the core under load with those settings

So you say 80C at 4.5 Ghz at such low volts is not hot?, c'mon man get real:screwy:, most SB chips runs 20-30C less on the core under load with those settings

Ivy Bridge isn't the same design broll. 3d Transistors, smaller process, better IPC all contribute to more heat.

Its not even more heat. It's less heat that can't be dissipated fast enough because of the smaller cores.

Ivy Bridge isn't the same design broll. 3d Transistors, smaller process, better IPC all contribute to more heat.

Maybe a little bit. But the biggest offender is the lack of using the fluxless solder process to bond the IHS to the processor die IMO. Instead they are using old skool (and cheap) TIM in between the IHS and processor die. I saw at least 15 C difference between the 2 methods back in the old Core 2 Duo days between an E6300 (fluxless solder process) and an E4400 (traditional TIM process). And in the years since then, I would imagine that Intel has probably refined the fluxless solder process even more, making for an even better bond between IHS and processor die.

Its not even more heat. It's less heat that can't be dissipated fast enough because of the smaller cores.

You are spot on, problem is heat cant get away from the core effectively, that said I'm challenging the OP's statement, 80C is hot in my book and hotter than a SB chip running at 55C:p

Doubt it.

Intel employee?

anyhu....TIM is deff the offender. "3d Transistors, smaller process, better IPC" wont be the sole reason for the heat increase. It will most likely be a combo of the two, but ultimately they can solve the TIM issue by simply NOT BEING SUCH CHEAP ASSES!the latter is a bit more difficult.

Last edited by a moderator:
Forgive my ignorance but what is Intel Enthusiast Team?
They are definitely a part of Intel and Mr. Wood comes complete with an @intel.com email address. I'm not sure their full mission but at least part of it is similar to Yellowbeard & Corsair - going around trying to help with the occasional tech support thread.

As far as this thread, it's quite tempting to edit the topic title as it's directly saying that I'm a liar, which I don't really appreciate. Congratulations OP, you can run your four-threaded 3570K cooler than the rest of us can run our eight-threaded 3770K's. That certainly doesn't make those of us who have these hot running chips liars. Or maybe the water loop I run on this chip is inadequate compared to your cooler. :rolleyes:

says the 1 day old member
ban trolls imo

He's actually been here since March (not May) [and has had 7 other posts since then] but that is beyond the point.

That isn't to say that what he posted was right/good at all, but just clarifying.

my temps are almost same except one core,using antec 920 cooler.
test1.jpg
at load all cores are closer temps. just got mine yesterday, so have it set at 4.2 at 1.17v running cool so far,have not turned up the clock yet.
test22.jpg

my temps are almost same except one core,using antec 920 cooler.
test1.jpg
at load all cores are closer temps. just got mine yesterday, so have it set at 4.2 at 1.17v running cool so far,have not turned up the clock yet.
test22.jpg

that seems to be after 2 minutes ( if that) your temps must have gone up by a fair amount after running prime for 30 mins +? The first two minutes of prime are not an accurate measure of load temps. Also core 3 is looking weirdly high :S

Last edited:
Cool, thanks for the info. I didnt realize Intel had any guys out on the forums.
They are definitely a part of Intel and Mr. Wood comes complete with an @intel.com email address. I'm not sure their full mission but at least part of it is similar to Yellowbeard & Corsair - going around trying to help with the occasional tech support thread.

NP Eldonko!

Just a general FYI, I've changed the topic title from "stop lying about ivy running hot." to "3570k Isn't Running as Hot as Expected". I think that covers the topic more succinctly and, more importantly, doesn't imply everyone other than the OP (with hotter-running 3770Ks, no less) is a liar.

hokie, I should be able to see how much easier the 3570K is to cool by tonight. I should have 1 being delivered from TD if UPS doesn't drop the ball today. And since I already have a decently clocking 2500K, it will be interesting to see what kind of temps I encounter, getting the 3570K stable at 4.7 like the 2500K is for 24/7 clocks. The 2500K had been benched on water up to around 5.4, and I have my doubts that heat will let me do so with the 3570K.

NP Eldonko!

Just a general FYI, I've changed the topic title from "stop lying about ivy running hot." to "3570k Isn't Running as Hot as Expected". I think that covers the topic more succinctly and, more importantly, doesn't imply everyone other than the OP (with hotter-running 3770Ks, no less) is a liar.

haha love it :p

that seems to be after 2 minutes ( if that) your temps must have gone up by a fair amount after running prime for 30 mins +? The first two minutes of prime are not an accurate measure of load temps. Also core 3 is looking weirdly high :S

That's still about 20°C Higher than a 2600k same freq...

That's still about 20°C Higher than a 2600k same freq...

yer but have to member the IB will be about 5% faster, so lets say a 5% faster clock is needed, so 4.4/5 ghz to equal it performance wise, But even then the SB will run cooler. The IB would be beasts if they didnt run so hot, :(

yer but have to member the IB will be about 5% faster, so lets say a 5% faster clock is needed, so 4.4/5 ghz to equal it performance wise, But even then the SB will run cooler. The IB would be beasts if they didnt run so hot, :(

Agreed, that's why I went for a 2600k.

Back