• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

p4 1.6 Temperatures HI CW823 :>

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Woot2003

Hey all. First post here and I'd also like to say hi to the ol moderator, cw823. Hope everything is going good for you, honestly and sincerely.

I had a question about overclocking my p4 1.6. Just a quickie of a question at that.

My motherboard temp runs around 86-90F during normal applications and games. The CPU runs around 108-112F during apps and games per Aida32.

I have 2 80mm Blue Led Cooler Master fans in atm. It's a cheesy case with no extra fan room and no blow holes. Actually just ordered a new enermax modded case tonight but that's besides the point atm.

Was just wondering if these are ok temps for a 1.6 and would it be advisable to go ahead and overclock it to 2.1 ? I did some searching through google and some searching here before I posted but I thought I would just jump in and ask.

Thanks,
Woot

Woot2003 said:
Hey all. First post here and I'd also like to say hi to the ol moderator, cw823. Hope everything is going good for you, honestly and sincerely.

I had a question about overclocking my p4 1.6. Just a quickie of a question at that.

My motherboard temp runs around 86-90F during normal applications and games. The CPU runs around 108-112F during apps and games per Aida32.

I have 2 80mm Blue Led Cooler Master fans in atm. It's a cheesy case with no extra fan room and no blow holes. Actually just ordered a new enermax modded case tonight but that's besides the point atm.

Was just wondering if these are ok temps for a 1.6 and would it be advisable to go ahead and overclock it to 2.1 ? I did some searching through google and some searching here before I posted but I thought I would just jump in and ask.

Thanks,
Woot

LOL....a Lima ohio buddy.

That 1.6 will probably do 2.1 on default voltage, and probably won't generate much more heat than it is now. I'd still recommend better cooling, there are MANY products out there that will do a better job than the stock HSF.

:D

cw823, how did you come to the thread so fast? Do you search for your name? Actually........thats a good idea.

anyways, I dont remember you. Have you been a mod for a while now?

getting back on topic, i wouldnt go any higher temp wise than what schismspeak said, once your cpu is at about that temp it isnt that safe to go any higher becuase if that is what the cpu surface/socket temp is, your core temp will probably be close to 70-75 degrees C, and that is quite hot. I myself dont let my athlon go over 48 degrees C. Becuase first, it becomes unstable, second, the internal diode registers at 70 degrees C, third, with a cpu running on the warm side at stock speeds, running it at 178% (2.4Ghz), if like my cpu fan were to go out, with it making that much heat (120 thermal watts) with my crappy HSF, it wouldnt last long. It might burn itself up before id be able to get to the comp to kill the power. Sp anyways. its usually best to stay below 55C ;)

also, WELCOME TO THE FORUMS!

modenaf1 said:
cw823, how did you come to the thread so fast? Do you search for your name? Actually........thats a good idea.

anyways, I dont remember you. Have you been a mod for a while now?

I've been a mod for a couple years :) Actually I was PM'ed by another member to this thread....anything with my handle in the title has got to be worth seeing!

cw823 said:

I've been a mod for a couple years :) Actually I was PM'ed by another member to this thread....anything with my handle in the title has got to be worth seeing!

oha couple years, i think i was confusing you with crash 893, just seeing a name that starts with c and has a triple digit number with an 8 and a 3.

woot, you shouldnt really have that much temp trouble overclocking to 2.1 if they arent above 55C now you should be fine. If you can even get an intel to2.1 lol im j/k with ya. Dont mind me and any of my intel comments lol

EDIT: hey you know what? wiht the title, p4 1.6 Temperatures HI CW823 :>
and wiht this now at the top i could create another one titled xp 2.4 Temperatures HI CW823 :>

lol and that would spark something similar to the "boo ya! I got X stars....lol"

but nah i wont do that.

I've got a P4 1.6A Northwood & I've had it as high as 2.64Ghz (165FSB)! I had to crank v-core up to 1.7V to get that high & temps were getting real close to 55°C at those speeds, & it was not very stable. My normal everyday setting for it is @2.24Ghz on default voltage & current temp is 41°C. I'm running a Vantec Aeroflow HSF & am quite pleased with it. Good luck playing with your P4, Woot! -Dave

Back