• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Having troube getting over 4ghz.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

LMFRY

Im having a heck of a time getting stable over 4.0ghz with a e8400/p5q-deluxe and a Thermalright ultra 120(non-extreme). My load temps are about 8C different between cores but the hot core never goes over 54C. Im running 1.3125V on the cpu. Ram is 1:1 with fsb which is 445x9. Any ideas how i can get over the 4ghz barrier?

Raise the Northbridge a bit. Do you have a C0 or E0 chip? If C0, you may need a bit more voltage. If E0, probably just need some more NB voltage.

Also be sure to have your VDimm @ the correct volts (the board will auto it to 1.8v).

What is a good voltage to set NB at. I have it at 1.4 right now...The reason for this thread is that I took a break from intel to try phenom...and well...that didnt work out so well lol. But I couldnt ever find a set voltage limit, i heard MANY different things for the e8400 and i dont want to fry my chip in 3 months.

I said something in another thread about lowering it, didtn realize when I posted earlier you are already at 1.4v NB.

Thats a bit high, so its probably not the NB causing you issues. Do you have a C0 or E0 chip? I lowered my voltages and dropped my overclock a bit. It took me .05 extra just to hit 100 mhz more (512x8 @ 1.38, running 445x9 @ 1.33 now) with my C0 chip. 512 FSB I was using 1.34v for the NB, 445 FSB im using 1.3.

Maximum voltage Intel specifies is 1.368 I believe for these chips. Beyond that it degrades, however little proof is out there showing that 1.4-1.45v SERIOUSLY degrades the chip. Above 1.45v is generally trouble.

Did you set the Ram voltage? That may be part of the problem if its defaulting to 1.8v. Just up the Vcore on that and go for it. I havent gotten stable past 4.25 ghz and it took me over 1.4v to get there, so I dont run it 24/7.

rams at 2.1v which i know it will do at least 950 at that voltage which im running at 930 something right now as i just got it to do 4.2ghz, but it took 1.375 to do it. Im gonna have to reseat my hsf because i got one core getting a bit toasty running sp2004.

Load temps being 8C different between cores is bad temp readings...what are you using to check temps? Try RealTemp or CoreTemp for more accuracy.

Load temps being 8C different between cores is bad temp readings
Not necessarily, I've had CPU's read quite different temperatures.

OP: This is the second P5Q-Deluxe that I've owned. Both were able to do 580fsb with everything on stock volts (except the CPU; everything on air). Try this, drop your multi to 6 and raise the FSB; is it stable? If so, you need more vCore to run it faster than 4ghz.

thanks thideras, that really clears a lot of things up for me. Lol i had no idea what to do on this board, there are too many things set to auto.

EDIT: Did what you said thideras, and i could get to 480 or so before my ram tryed to poop out, so now it looks like i need a ram upgrade.

Last edited:
thanks thideras, that really clears a lot of things up for me. Lol i had no idea what to do on this board, there are too many things set to auto.

EDIT: Did what you said thideras, and i could get to 480 or so before my ram tryed to poop out, so now it looks like i need a ram upgrade.
There you go! :D

What ram do you have, just curious?

im running 2x2gb ocz upgrade edition. Any suggestions on some good ram? I def want to get more than 4ghz out of it cause my 3dmark06 went up about 1500 points going from 4 to 4.2ghz. LOL i want to break 20k, right now at 19335.

im running 2x2gb ocz upgrade edition. Any suggestions on some good ram? I def want to get more than 4ghz out of it cause my 3dmark06 went up about 1500 points going from 4 to 4.2ghz. LOL i want to break 20k, right now at 19335.
I have owned 4 sets (2 sets now) of the Gskill 1000mhz 2x2gb kit. Can't say anything bad about them :shrug:

Will definately have to try it. I had g.skill on my last c2d system and it was really good stuff.

Back