• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

READ READ There are much better stuff for heatsinks than copper!!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
hmm...I got the best extreme cooler ever....

you make a diamond hollow box with a hole for direct die and fill up the box sealed with helium 2 (only 100000)..then cool the diamond box with a few pelts on the outside.....now that would be nice :)

anyways though..I dont think inudstrial diamond is that expensive I think that it would be a cool proj too build a diamond waterblock for around 100-150$. got any ideas SSS? how about a fine design like with an hsf but sealit so water can run through....

Nico3k said:
interesting...
i wonder how good a glass waterblock would be

glass conducts at 1.1-1.2 if your looking for a fried chip have fun:)

grunjee said:
Hmmm. I was hoping to gain some enlightenment in this thread, but instead have decided to stick with my Maze2.

dont be a party pooper lol

dxiw said:
you make a diamond hollow box with a hole for direct die and fill up the box sealed with helium 2 (only 100000)..then cool the diamond box with a few pelts on the outside.....now that would be nice :)

Yeah, right... it says on that link that for helium to be that conductive it has to be below 2.2K... that's pretty damn cold... at that temperature I believe the helium would be a superfluid as well. If you were to get liquid helium, why not just let it evaporate? It'd be colder than liquid nitrogen...

actually im thinking of getting a diamond plate and putting it on a waterblock as the base.. kinda how the swifty is, but i have ideas of my own for the design, but were to get them and how much?

Carbon nanotubes aren't listed, but they are even better than diamonds.

Unfortunatley, you need few trillion to make anything useless, and they will probably slip in between the cracks screwing up your processor.

Penguin4x4 said:

And when used as a transistor, are faster than silicone. :D
Don't forget that carbon nanotubes are bullet proof too (awesome for those days where you want to bring you box out side and blow a few holes in it, it may just save your cpu) :eek:

Pcmod said:
Umm how in the world would you shape the diamond????

thats ez...just use another diamond...like the diamond dremel cutting wheel....

I was just wondering what other crystalline structures would be thermally conductive. So went looking around. Seems Ruby is meant to be very conductive at low temperatures, bad at high temperatures, 20C figures don't look good, didn't know whether "low temperatures" meant subzero, cryogenic, or ultra cryogenic. Anyhoo, for people with low temp setups it might be worth investigating.

Silicon Carbide, or synthetic moissanite as it is often known also may be worth investigating. It is very diamond like in structure, and is classed almost as an element in that the structure is very strong and regular more like an element than a compound. I am finding a very wide range of thermal conductivities for it. Jewellers and gemologists say "The thermal conductivity is so close to diamond that it's hard to tell them apart" other sources say it's between copper and aluminum, and others say that it's around about the value of nickel. So that's darn confusing. If it was near copper even, you'd think that even highly inaccurate thermal conductivity tests that jewellers might use would notice that diamond is 3 times better or so than SiC.

Anyhoo, there's also another crystalline material being touted for IC packaging called AlSiC which is up there near aluminum, dunno what AMD are using now, but they might like to think about that for their CPUs.

So a Ruby slice as a cold plate in a high pressure low temp peltier sandwich might be a viable idea, or might not.

Also an idea with CPUs with heatplates might be to get some real fine silicon carbide grinding powder, and instead of using thermal paste, just mash your sink into the heatspreader, grinding them into each other to get a kind of SiC and metal powder mix mating them. Might work good with a very light dab of boron bearing grease to help stick stuff together a bit.

Well whatever, there might be some interesting crystalline compounds out there to play with. Thermal conductivity charts seem hugely variable for off the wall materials though.

Here's one of them, showing the low value for SiC.

http://www.ai.mit.edu/people/tk/tks/tcon.html

Road Warrior

Penguin4x4 said:

And when used as a transistor, are faster than silicone. :D
i used siliconE to seal my block & dont think that it would be used in a transistor. someone tried to put som Carbon nanotubes into a woman??:D

Back