• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Seagate VS Hitachi VS Maxtor.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Sjaak said:
I would recommend the seagates. They perform huge (very close to raptor due to their native s-ata), are very silent and not too expensive.

Not to mention Seagate is now boasting a 5 Year warranty. :attn:

Yep another good reason to go seagate. Now if only my other paycheque would get deposited in my account already. I need a new power supply for all the drives my system's gonna be housing.

just bought a Seagate ST380013AS SATA 7200.7 and it makes grinding noises on writes that are audible over three 120mm fans. not too pleased with it. :mad: gonna RMA refund for a WD or Hitachi.

I have the Seagate Barracuda's in my rig and my brother's new rig... I can't hear them at all over the fans in my rig and the single fan in my bro's shuttle! They are the best bang for the buck... and the 5 year warranty just sweetens the deal!

I'm also stuck between choosing the Hitachi, Seagate, and also a Western Digital:
Hitachi here
WD here

And as far as Seagates are concerned, I'm confused between these two models. The first 7200.7 model says its SATA, but the second 7200.7 says its SATA-II, and claims to use the full 150 MB/s available on SATA.

Now, is this performance increase noticeable/useful in real-world applications? For my purposes, the potential drive will be used as a single drive, no raid or anything.

the seagates are native sata, so no higher latency due to a bridge chip or anything. they perform uch better then any IDE drive, and a bit better then other sata drives. Even a single one often comes close to a raptor.

Last edited:
Scar said:
just bought a Seagate ST380013AS SATA 7200.7 and it makes grinding noises on writes that are audible over three 120mm fans. not too pleased with it. :mad: gonna RMA refund for a WD or Hitachi.

I ordered two Seagate 7200.7 160GB disks 10 months ago, and they both made the same grinding noice when it wrote. I gave up the drives before w2k was finished installing, and I returned them and exchanged with a pair of Hitachi 7k250 and I must say these are the best drives I have ever owned. I now got five of them, and I'm about to order 2-3 more.

Cold, silent, fast.

Back