• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Radio Shack closing doors...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Well, the article says that they will be adding kiosks. So that means that they are not considering any change of the mall stores that (in this area) rest for around $20/ft^2. I think that they should change thier names to "Ridiculously overpriced remote control car Shack".

Malpine Walis said:
I think that they should change thier names to "Ridiculously overpriced remote control car Shack".
Man, I have been saying Radio Shack was overpriced for years.....Looks like I'm not the only one who isnt surprised that Radio Shack got pwned

Kind of goes to show you that ignoring what kind of value you offer your customer has concrete ramifications.

Every time I have gone to radio shack with my dad I've had a horrible experiance. One time like they didn't have a clear system of waiting so my dad's standing there waiting to be helped and they help some lady who just came up behind us and had been waiting less than us. ****ed us off to high hell. The second time we got crummyy service and my dad made a comment about it and the dude flipped my dad the bird. We hate that place.

The shack has always been a joke to me. Only time I liked it, was when I was a kid, and could drive the RC cars around.

These days, the shack around here, the manager is always there drinking behind the counter, and really wasted when you come in. haha :)

shacks ok around here
overpiced like a mofo tho

but one time i went to this store near detroit and the guy ****ed me off to the point where i took a **** in the middle of the store (no joke)
he just looked @ me like did i really do that LOL
yeah, radioshack sucks now that i think about it

Ironic so many horror stories haha, guess Radio Shack has crummy service everywhere. Pretty much every location I have ever been too around here, each experienced sucked and I got ZERO service. Service to them is trying to sell you cell phone garbage plans or trying to con you into other over priced crap, I'm sure though the real high up guys spaz to there employees though lol (Sell Plans!!). FYI many years ago back when I use to frequent the place more, service was alot better back then.

Last edited:
I am not suprised, but in a way I am sad.

Anyone else remember when that store had actual geeks working in it? Ones that knew about electonics. Personel who actually knew what your project was, and could suggest some really good additions to it.
Now it is a just a cup of yuppie. You have to tell them what you need. Not have them ask how can they help you out. Then know which value a blue LED would be best for a custom breadboard project.

It is a sad time indeed.

It will be, in a small way, a shame. RS sometimes has some very knowledgable people working there, and quite often they have some rare parts that come in handy when you are experimenting. The biggest problem will be finding a local replacement store. I have been lucky in the fact that within 5 miles i have 4 RS stores, with at least 1 with quality help(in that, I mean guys who know what you are asking for when you ask for a SPST switch or a 25ohm resistor). I'd kind of hate to see them actually go down the tube, but if they can figure out how to actually bring their prices to a reasonable level, they may be able to survive.

They used to be good. Carried a lot of electronic parts. Now it is all about phones and RC Cars. They capacitor/resistor/etc section blows. What is scarey is that fry's has a better selection of electronic components than Radio Shack. This is like 15+ years over do.

I remember as a kid running into radio shack BEFORE I went into the toystore. I even had a 'Battery Club Card'. Wether I needed it or not, I always went in for my free battery. They used to have so much 'cool' stuff way back then (80's). I was always buying resisters, transisters.. I was always building stuff. They used to have a decent selection of CB radios, antennes, and assorted goodies that went along with it.

The past few times I've been in the shack, they never have anything I'm looking for that they used to carry. You can't go into the store without being jumped on by at least 2 employees and followed around asking what your looking for or making.

There was a time, I used to think the people that worked at the shack were 'cool', even in a geeky way. If you had a circuit you were building and needed a part they didn't carry, they could either tell you where to get it, or, what to substitute in its place. Now, most of the employees I've dealt with there don't even know the color code to a resister.

I haven't steped in a shack for about 3 years now. I vowed I never would again because of the poor selection/service, knowledge, and experience. I don't mind paying extra for a component for a circuit if all I have to do is run up the road for it VS. waiting a week for it to come in the mail. That's paying for convienance. I won't pay to go into a store to get hasseled, mis-treated, followed, ignored if I ask a question, and looked down on if I don't buy a cell phone with a protection plan.

I won't miss them if/when they go. Just one more hole in the strip mall.

Lee

Like others in this thread, I thinks it's long overdue for RatShack to shut the doors. The whole chain has been on a big downhill spiral for better than 30 years, IMO. Back in the late 60's and early 70's, they actually had a large selection of assorted electronic items, from portable TV's and decent stereo systems and components, to all kinds of electronic supplies. Back in the day, they were the place I checked first for tubes (valves to you EU folks ;) ), since they gave a lifetime warrantee on their replacements. And I bought my first TV from them in the late 60's (saved all freakin summer for it too), which was an 8" Sony portable B&W with a car adapter so we could watch tv while traveling from Houston to New Orleans. Now all you get in the stores is rude service by ignorant illiterate rude buttheads and they have nothing I need that I can't get elsewhere and usually for cheaper. :shrug:

palee72 said:
I remember as a kid running into radio shack BEFORE I went into the toystore. I even had a 'Battery Club Card'. Wether I needed it or not, I always went in for my free battery. They used to have so much 'cool' stuff way back then (80's). I was always buying resisters, transisters.. I was always building stuff. They used to have a decent selection of CB radios, antennes, and assorted goodies that went along with it.

The past few times I've been in the shack, they never have anything I'm looking for that they used to carry. You can't go into the store without being jumped on by at least 2 employees and followed around asking what your looking for or making.

There was a time, I used to think the people that worked at the shack were 'cool', even in a geeky way. If you had a circuit you were building and needed a part they didn't carry, they could either tell you where to get it, or, what to substitute in its place. Now, most of the employees I've dealt with there don't even know the color code to a resister.

I haven't steped in a shack for about 3 years now. I vowed I never would again because of the poor selection/service, knowledge, and experience. I don't mind paying extra for a component for a circuit if all I have to do is run up the road for it VS. waiting a week for it to come in the mail. That's paying for convienance. I won't pay to go into a store to get hasseled, mis-treated, followed, ignored if I ask a question, and looked down on if I don't buy a cell phone with a protection plan.

I won't miss them if/when they go. Just one more hole in the strip mall.

Lee

Sounds just like me, when I was younger I used to head to one off/on when I was kid checking out all the cool stuff. Now when I go into one, I get this really bad vibe of them trying to con you into crap or heaven forbid you actually ask them for a part! Every single time it's the same (Ummmm yeah I have no idea, turns into a 10min search then blowing you off over another customer). Seems like there hiring process has went down the toilet, nobody knows jack **** anymore or cares to learn.

Back