• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Hot glue from glue gun - can I use it?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

aja

I want to stick a mounting bracket permanantly to a pentium III motherboard. The area I will be covering is large and I will need to glue over a MOSFET and cap's and some IC's...

Can I use hot glue from a glue gun? Is it electrically insulative?

If not, should I apply nail varnish to the board before I glue it?

2-component epoxy.
While hot glue isn't conductive it's not strong enough for any permanent application.
Especially when the components that are glued produce heat...

The problem is that I have a gap of about 8mm to fill between the bracket and the mobo.

That would take a lot of epoxy and it tends to be too runny to fill such a big gap...

No weight will hang from it at all, so strength is not a problem.

Good point about the heat - more problems to concider, yay...

you could try the plyable epoxy? its a bit like clay. sold in a 2 component stick that you have to mix... and then you can put it on (great as a filler or for 'creating' parts)

remember that most (if not all) glue types dont take heat too well...

You can certainly use hot glue on most parts of your board, I use it all over my board to hold wires in place.

I can even show you a picture if you would like.

You can certainly use hot glue on most parts of your board, I use it all over my board to hold wires in place.

I can even show you a picture if you would like.

Hey you are right! the voltmod boys use it to hold little soldered wires in place! I remember seeing it now, no need for a picture thanks!

Do you think a MOSFET on a P III board could really melt it?

Even not melting it, they will soften that cured glue, imo use some epoxy putty is the best cause they will cured like a stone like material.

Anyway, since mosfet will heat up, what ever material you're going to use, make sure you test it 1st on a disposable glass outer surface, once cured, pour a hot water in it to see if the heat is affecting that material. ;)

Even not melting it, they will soften that cured glue, imo use some epoxy putty is the best cause they will cured like a stone like material.

Anyway, since mosfet will heat up, what ever material you're going to use, make sure you test it 1st on a disposable glass outer surface, once cured, pour a hot water in it to see if the heat is affecting that material. ;)

or ignite it :p

Hot glue is fine for cold part of the pcb, power mosfet or inductor are known to be warm or even hot, not good for "hot" glue ! ;)

Thats a good idea, I'll try that

or ignite it :p

Eeeewwww - burning glue stinks like crazy!

Can you show us a picture?

I have used hot glue to attach alot of electronics and have never had a problem but i'm not sure exactly what you are doing.

Hmmm, you will just have to wait and see - its very ghetto. Once I have all the parts I need I'll post :D

Hot glue is fine for cold part of the pcb, power mosfet or inductor are known to be warm or even hot, not good for "hot" glue ! ;)

I can glue around the one MOSFET that is in the way, so should be fine!

Thanks guys, I'll get some different epoxies and hot glue and see what I can come up with. I also thought of using car exhaust repair putty as a gap filler since it is resistant to heat. Will let you know what I am up to soon!

byebye

My worry would be insulating heat that needs to escape. You might cover something up that gets hot, and hot enough to cook the component if covered. You got a IR temp gun to measure temps? Maybe set your comp up on a test stand and run a stress test and check the temp of the components you want to cover first? Have to get within a cm to get a good reading on those tiny suckers.

Back