• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Messing with voltages makes the OC less stable and even causes BSOD.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
What clock are you trying? if it is 4.5GHz you could just give 0.100 a try, it would not cause any harm.

What version of prime95 are you using?

Yes, 4.5, and will do. I think I answered my own question regarding the base voltage on yours being lower. You have the 6600k (which I now regret not getting instead of my 6700k), and it probably runs on lower voltages.

Every Intel CPU has a different stock voltage called VID. You just have a unlucky High VID compared to mine.

Every Intel CPU has a different stock voltage called VID. You just have a unlucky High VID compared to mine.

Not even sure, is "the latest" an appropriate answer? I downloaded it about a week ago. I'll check once I get home.

If it is the latest there should be no problem with Prime95.

Well, went ahead and switched DVID to 0.100V. I also set LLC to Standard vs Auto. Prime95 ran for much longer this time, 20 seconds to be precise, and then crashed. OCCT is up next. Here are some numbers I managed to screen from prime95 testing.

gz9PHKm.png

Edit 1: OCCT testing is complete. Surprisingly enough it lasted for at least a minute, so I might just do a linpack test as well.

2HdqlaR.png
9XrqQl1.png
VkRsK3F.png
DtIPbXL.png

PMJr9Po.png

1Rb0kaC.png

Last edited:
Note that the CPU is only requesting 1.36V, but for some reason, the motherboard is feeding it 1.45V. This is starting to look more and more like a motherboard issue to me...

Edit 1:

Here are some results after 30 minutes of stress testing with linpack. No errors, far more stable than it has ever been before.

SixFeXR.png
U67Duyt.png
mp96eCy.png
oUkjGmK.png

1jP1O7E.png

ITa0nFQ.png

Note that the temps are not exactly horrible, and occasionally spike to high 80s but otherwise cruise in the mid-high 70s and low-mid 80s.

Last edited:
Ooo! That max vcore is pretty high at 1.464. Your temps are good though.

Linpack is not the greatest stress test. OCCT large data set is what the author recommends. He recommends running that for three hours to be confident of stability.

I'm thinking your sweet spot is going to be 4.4 ghz. You did not win the silicon lottery.

Try Realbench CPU stress test.

The VID is 1.36V then you set DVID +0.100 offset = 1.45V, the board is just doing what you feed in for settings. After looking at all what you have done the CPU is a flop, I would sell the CPU and try another one like i7 7700k.

The VID is 1.36V then you set DVID +0.100 offset = 1.45V, the board is just doing what you feed in for settings. After looking at all what you have done the CPU is a flop, I would sell the CPU and try another one.

This^

Ooo! That max vcore is pretty high at 1.464. Your temps are good though.

Linpack is not the greatest stress test. OCCT large data set is what the author recommends. He recommends running that for three hours to be confident of stability.

I'm thinking your sweet spot is going to be 4.4 ghz. You did not win the silicon lottery.

Try Realbench CPU stress test.
I'll try the Realbench test. What are the chances that both 6700ks are junk, though?

The VID is 1.36V then you set DVID +0.100 offset = 1.45V, the board is just doing what you feed in for settings. After looking at all what you have done the CPU is a flop, I would sell the CPU and try another one like i7 7700k.

Damn it. Oh well, it is what it is. Even the temps look ok, too, which is the most frustrating part.

I'll try the Realbench test. What are the chances that both 6700ks are junk, though?

Damn it. Oh well, it is what it is. Even the temps look ok, too, which is the most frustrating part.
Go for a i7 7700k they start at 4.5GHz turbo and clock to 4.8 to 5.0GHz.

Go for a i7 7700k they start at 4.5GHz turbo and clock to 4.8 to 5.0GHz.

I don't think I have a choice, this is driving me nuts at this point. What a bad joke, I can't even keep prime95 running at 1.45V at 4.4Ghz.

Is the CPU stable running Prime95 stock? What Bios version are you running?

Last edited:
If you decide to go with the 7700k make sure you upgrade the bios before you remove the old CPU.

- - - Updated - - -

Even though you may have entered 1.36 in bios as your vcore, the bios will supplement that with offsets and LLC stuff, especially under load. Do you have the vcore mode set to manual, offset, adaptive or Auto? What about your LLC? Is it on Auto or manually set to a certain level?

Would it harm anything to update the BIOS to F21 as I keep using the 6700k?

And LLC is set to standard, VCORE is set to Normal to adjust DVID.

It should be fine, although I have heard that the Skylake CPUs don't always like the Kabylake BIOS but it will work and you should do it BEFORE you get the new CPU installed

It should be fine, although I have heard that the Skylake CPUs don't always like the Kabylake BIOS but it will work and you should do it BEFORE you get the new CPU installed

Got it. Well, I got an RMA request approved for my motherboard, and I might just RMA the CPU while I'm at it. Then I can confidently either sell both as BNIB knowing that I'm not pawning what could possibly be a faulty item onto someone else, or just install them in another rig down the road.

Back