• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Antec Earthwatts PSU--funny smell?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Dreamstalker

No, this isn't about a funny smell while it's powered on; I went to install one last night and good grief did that thing stink when taken out of the box! Extremely strong plasticky/metallic smell. I was wondering if anyone else has encountered this with this particular PSU if they have one or have used one.

I've had the "new PSU" smell before, but this was excessive. Almost smelled like 2-part epoxy.

Last edited:
lol what EA psu? i bought a 430watter from frys for 20 bucks back around xmas times and the outta the box smell was similar haha.

I was wondering if anyone else has encountered this with this particular PSU if they have one or have used one.

Constantly. I review PSU's for a living. It's normal for most of them to smell at least a little bit.

Constantly. I review PSU's for a living. It's normal for most of them to smell at least a little bit.

Both my HX520's did the same for 1 - 2 days along with my son's TX750. Every power supply I ever owned new had the electrical smell for a day or two. As long as you don't see smoke with it................:)

This is my simple rule for telling if you got a problem or not.

If it smells funny "ha-ha", it is probably OK.
If it smells funny "EW", something probably crawled inside and died. Take it apart and clean it.
If it smells funny "uh-oh", get a new one.

All powersupplies new as far as i know have a wierd smell. It will smell like that for at least a week too. Better vent your room. I dont know why they dont do something about the smell when the make powersupplies. I know they have ways to remove the smell, like vacuum pressure and stuff.

Every time I open a new PC POWER COOLING unit I hold the vents up to my nose and just breeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeth it in!
That's just that wonderful smell of new electrical gear!

That's characteristic of the "Earthwatts" series. They are eco friendly and run off methane from cow pies.

This is my simple rule for telling if you got a problem or not.

If it smells funny "ha-ha", it is probably OK.
If it smells funny "EW", something probably crawled inside and died. Take it apart and clean it.
If it smells funny "uh-oh", get a new one.

IIRC, according to folks at badcaps.net, if the PSU smells like fish, it's probably bad caps, literally.

Back