• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Win7 upgrade over corrupted XP install?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Dreamstalker

I'm trying to install an upgrade version of Win7 Home Premium over an existing XP install...but the XP install itself won't boot ("Windows did not shut down properly"...any startup option goes into an endless loop).

The copy of XP was itself an upgrade, and I suspect the reason for the non-boot is because it's looking for hardware that isn't there (basically the HDD is the only part remaining from when I first installed XP on this thing).

Although set to boot from CD, it doesn't seem to recognize the 7 disc although has no problems with Ubuntu or SuSE...I'd be happy with a straight Linux rig, but my mom wants Windows (paranoid that nothing's going to work otherwise) and a few online classes require IE.

Setup: Asus A8N5X, CD/DVD combo drive, 160GB Samsung SATA HDD (holdover from the previous incarnation), Antec Earthwatts 650 PSU, Radeon 4550

Have you tried running a repair of the XP installation? This may enable the original system to boot and also satisfy the Windows 7 installation requirements. I can't assure that this will work, but seems to be the path of least resistance.

I'm trying to install an upgrade version of Win7 Home Premium over an existing XP install...but the XP install itself won't boot ("Windows did not shut down properly"...any startup option goes into an endless loop).

This means Windows XP keeps giving a stop error code.

You are better off just doing a fresh install. I'm running win 7 pro upgrade myself and it does allow you to install on a blank drive without having to 'prove' just choose the 'custon install' when installing, not the 'upgrade' path

Yeah, I'm thinking a fresh install is the best option. The XP install was itself an upgrade (from 98) and I don't have the original CDs; putting upgrade on top of upgrade just seems too complicated.

Back