• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Been a week since my Upgrade !!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

xintensex

Registered
Ok Its been a week since Ive had my new upgrade and wow I love it, still gotta get a new grafx card but its been solid !!
I was able to play Blu-Ray Images Flawless, convert DVDs 15-20 x faster then what I was using before, 75 tabs open on chrome etc.. I am so happy with my desicion, cant wait to get new grafx card and OCZ SSD drive for OS Thanks Guys you where a Big help : )

Motherboard: ASRock Z68 Extreme3 Gen3
Processor (CPU): Intel Core i5-2500K Sandy Bridge 3.3GHz
RAM: G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800
Power Supply (PSU): CORSAIR GS700
Graphics Card (GPU): MSI Radeon HD R5570 - Looking to upgrade very soon !!

May I suggest getting a Crucial M4 or Intel SSD instead of OCZ..? >.>

Really wow I thought OCZ had the best SSD's? I guess I heard wrong? I know they had some issues but i thought the firmware fixed that ??

Just going by historical reliability, Intel is far and away the most reliable, though not usually the fastest...and you pay a huge price premium, but latest stat's I've seen are a 0.1% failure rate, which is just insane. Crucial, Samsung and Corsair also are very reliable drives, with failure rates at 2% or lower (with Crucial's latest drives (M4) being under 1% failure). OCZ's newer drives have been more reliable, but overall, they haven't been the best.

I'm really happy with the M4.. Any decent SSD is going to be way faster than an HDD... The performance between two SSD drives wont make much of a difference in real world, even if it shows x2 to x3 times the performance difference for certain benches etc.. That's why people aim for reliability instead of performance.

Really wow I thought OCZ had the best SSD's? I guess I heard wrong? I know they had some issues but i thought the firmware fixed that ??

OCZ has the cheapest. And despite the derogatory reviews. I can say one thing. PErofrmance new is not the same as performance used. But... Best performance on a sandforce drive smokes anything else. Fill (IE actual usage) performance drops about to about half normal. And guess what. Still is usually better (not always but usually) better than other controllers. (Reads never change only writes change)

I am not pushing sandforce, im just saying what I have learned. SandForce sata2 controller had issues with dirty performance and such, thats much less with sata3.

4KB performance is important. 8KB is just as important. that combined is more than 50% of windows in testing from people that signed up for that. Large files sizes (the other 50% ) goes large.

The alternates to Sandforce are all good choices, but there is a reason that even Intel went Sandforce with the 520. It reduces the price per GB.

GC is generally better on other controllers and they tend to stick to specs better than sandforce. But still are not all around as good and definitely not as cheap.

I definitely like the Marvell controller. Will be great next year and super cheap I suspect after mark-up falls. Indilinx, well I dunno, I have not used one since OCZ bought them. Only drives that failed on me overtime were indilinx. I loved bigfoot but after 3 dead indilinx drives (the only ones actually) I am hesitant to buy anything Indilinx again. Indilinx is a performance difference between Marvell and Sandforce but IMHO stability is WAY lower. Hopefully OCZ fixes that and does not rely on RMAs.

Last edited:
I have had my OCZ Vertex 2 90gig drive for just over a year now. When I got it fw 1.33 was the latest and mine did not have it. before I did any install in upgraded the firmware. Now it's at 1.35, I did see a small performance upgrade going from fw 1.33 to 1.35 but I have not had 1 drive error since I 1st installed windows.

I can say 1 thing, even only having a sata 2 SSD 255r/250w i will never go back to a HDD as a boot drive again.. I LOVE my SSD and will always have one as a boot drive.

Back