• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Home Theatre System

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Coreyoliseffect

So I am finally in a position to purchase a decent home theater system. The more that I read and look around the more that I realize that I don't know as much as I thought that I did. This was just posted on SlickDeals:
Boston Acoustics CS2310B

I read the reviews but didn't see anything that made me want to pull the trigger. I have a set of Klipsch ProMedia(I think) 2.1 for my comp and I love them so I am bias to anything Klipsch.

Really looking for some suggestions here. I am not looking to go over a grand on a system. I have my laptop setup as my HTPC right now and am looking to replace that with a custom built HTPC sometime later. Music is my main use for the system in the living room with the occasional movie here and there. Thoughts? Sorry for being so vague.

One thing you need to realize is that some klipsch computer speakers are made a totally different way than their HT speakers, if they don't have horns you can't really compare them to the HT stuff. Boston makes a nice speaker system. I've sold both and they are both great depending on the person listening to them. I love klipsch for HT because their horn tweeters are really efficient and can do a lot with little wattage. Boston is great and has a nice clear sound. I like the boston floor speakers for music because they aren't as bright as the klipsch to me. I'm only speaking of the lower end stuff because I haven't had the opportunity to hear any of the higher end klipsch stuff.

Basically what I'm saying is that is a nice system and if your receiver has a decent amp you will be happy (be decent I mean it isn't the cheapest one you could find.)

One thing you need to realize is that some klipsch computer speakers are made a totally different way than their HT speakers, if they don't have horns you can't really compare them to the HT stuff. Boston makes a nice speaker system. I've sold both and they are both great depending on the person listening to them. I love klipsch for HT because their horn tweeters are really efficient and can do a lot with little wattage. Boston is great and has a nice clear sound. I like the boston floor speakers for music because they aren't as bright as the klipsch to me. I'm only speaking of the lower end stuff because I haven't had the opportunity to hear any of the higher end klipsch stuff.

Basically what I'm saying is that is a nice system and if your receiver has a decent amp you will be happy (be decent I mean it isn't the cheapest one you could find.)

Good info.

I had forgotten that I need a receiver as well. The set up that I have right now is an older Kenwood, from the 90s, system with 4 huge floor speakers. Maybe a receiver would be a good place to start. Any suggestions on those?
As I stated above, not really interested in console gaming nor do I have paid programming.

Since you listen to music primarily...youre going to want a stereo system and not home theater. This is quite doable in your budget if you buy used. Id be looking for an outboard DAC, an integrated amp, and a couple decent floorstanding speakers. Im at work now, so Ill chime in later on ;)

Since you listen to music primarily...youre going to want a stereo system and not home theater. This is quite doable in your budget if you buy used. Id be looking for an outboard DAC, an integrated amp, and a couple decent floorstanding speakers. Im at work now, so Ill chime in later on ;)

I missed the part about primarily listening to music. The above is good advice. What sucks is floorstanders are weak unless you pay a crapload. None can handle "full range" music anymore. Being flat to 40hz is nice, but some music will be inaudible if speakers can't go lower than that. I was going to build a set of huge floorstanders, but since they will be used for 90% HT I'm going with small (flat to 60hz) and a monster of a sub (flat to 16hz). Hopefully I'll like it.

To the OP, if you can get a good usb dac or one that takes spdif out from the sound card and get a decent amp then you should be able to run any speaker you want with fantastic results. That really all depends on how much you want to spend too. This hobby can get expensive very fast.

40Hz is actually all youd really need, unless you listen to electronica or something with a pipe organ. Heres a good chart showing the frequency range of various instruments: http://www.independentrecording.net/irn/resources/freqchart/main_display.htm I listen primarily to electronica. My speakers are plenty good enough despite going down to ~35Hz.

I'm right there with you. Mine are rated down to 40hz, but they have no issues going low enough for the lowest bass string (which is 32hz IIRC), so for 90% of my music they are enough. It's the Pink Floyd and NIN that doesn't quite sound right on them. I never wanted to use a sub, but since they aren't used for music all that much I figured I'd give it a go. And I like me some pipe organ :thup:

I'd really like to get my hands on a Boston Audio Society test disc. I think they have tracks that go down to 15hz (or 13hz). Seems that that would be pretty cool.

All the technical info. :shock:

I am not a stranger to audio, for the most part. Now home audio I consider to be different. I was still thinking something with a sub would be good. The set up that I have now is basically a 4.1 system. :p

I do know that I miss the low end that m car has. There again i have two 12s ported there so...

Is there a decent setup that covers both music and movies or is it always one or the other?

Generally, a decent stereo will do movies quite well. Afterall, thats how people watched movies before surround sound :p

So I am thinking from this post that when you say stereo you are talking about large speakers, no sub, no surround. When you say surround you are talking about a 5.1 type setup.

So I am thinking from this post that when you say stereo you are talking about large speakers, no sub, no surround. When you say surround you are talking about a 5.1 type setup.

Stereo would be either a 2.0 or 2.1 setup. Subs are usually used with smaller monitor type speakers because they need the bass reinforcement. Surround is generally anything with 4 or more speakers placed correctly (IE not all in front of you), the sub is totally optional just as it is with stereo.

Stereo would be either a 2.0 or 2.1 setup. Subs are usually used with smaller monitor type speakers because they need the bass reinforcement. Surround is generally anything with 4 or more speakers placed correctly (IE not all in front of you), the sub is totally optional just as it is with stereo.

Funny that you mention the "not all in front of you" for surround. It really bugs me when people do that... then they still think that they have "surround sound". :rolleyes:

Speaking of surround sound, what's the deal on the "virtual surround" that the sound bar makers advertise. I have never been impressed with any sound bar that I have heard nor have I ever felt like it provided surround sound.

Funny that you mention the "not all in front of you" for surround. It really bugs me when people do that... then they still think that they have "surround sound". :rolleyes:
That made me chuckle, because most of the computer surround systems Ive seen, everybody had all of the speakers on their desk lol.

Speaking of surround sound, what's the deal on the "virtual surround" that the sound bar makers advertise. I have never been impressed with any sound bar that I have heard nor have I ever felt like it provided surround sound.

Ive never heard a sound bar, but Ive seen quite a few of them. They look rather gimmicky to me. If they really simulated surround sound, youd see huge ones in movie theaters :p

Ive never heard a sound bar, but Ive seen quite a few of them. They look rather gimmicky to me. If they really simulated surround sound, youd see huge ones in movie theaters :p

Higher quality sound bars (like the $500 polk audio) that have all 5 channels input into it are pretty good if the room is good. If there isn't a way to reflect the sound off the walls surround bars are just one long useless speaker. You wouldn't believe the misconceptions people have about speakers (well, you might). I never understood why people wouldn't hesitate to spend $3k on a tv and cringe at a $300 HTIB. Doesn't make sense to me. I'll spend double on a sound system over video any day.

Higher quality sound bars (like the $500 polk audio) that have all 5 channels input into it are pretty good if the room is good. If there isn't a way to reflect the sound off the walls surround bars are just one long useless speaker. You wouldn't believe the misconceptions people have about speakers (well, you might). I never understood why people wouldn't hesitate to spend $3k on a tv and cringe at a $300 HTIB. Doesn't make sense to me. I'll spend double on a sound system over video any day.

I understand that sentiment. Hmm I really want the surround that can pump out the tunes as well. On the occasion that I do watch a movie I really do enjoy the surround feel. BAH! :shrug: I guess I head to a Best Buy and take a look around. Maybe they will give me some ideas. I seriously doubt that I would end up buying anything from BB...

I was about to say...Do you have a budget in mind?

EDIT: How big is the room? That will help too.

Well all the systems that I have looked at/want cost to much to purchase all at once. So I was looking for anything under $1000 I figure that would make me happy. I would prefer under $500.

The room is oddly shaped and I had a heck of a time getting furniture in an acceptable place. I would say it is 15'X10'. The way that I have everything set up the couch is across from the TV with about 8' between.

Theres nothing wrong with piecing your system together. Thats how Ive built all of mine. Your best bet would be to start out with the speakers, then add your other components as your budget allows. I have 3 audio systems around my house (all stereo), most of it was bought used. You can save a great deal of money that way. The only components that I bought new were my Squeezebox Duets and a few amps I built. Hell, the system in my living room hooked to my TV was done for less than $200...on that note, its a pretty respectable system too. The integrated amp is a NAD C350, which I got for $40 on Craigslist...a few years prior, it was their mid-range model which sold for $500 new. The speakers its hooked to are Klipsch RB-81s, which I got from a guy on Craigslist that was parting out a home theater system. The RB-81s new at the time were ~$400 each. If you decide to buy used, be patient, the great deals come in teaspoonfuls.

Vintage speaker amp, large bookshelves on heavy stands, 8-12" sub (depending on budget) = done.

My father always had a surround system when I was growing up but I love watching movies with my 2.1 setup just as much. The bang for the buck you can get from used gear is phenomenal also. Check craigslist, ebay, local thrift stores. Maybe pick up a vinyl rig for dirt cheap and rock out like your parents did ;)

Back