• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Force website to save to cache.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Silver_Pharaoh

Likes the big ones n00b Member
[SOLVED] Force website to save to cache.

:bang head

Currently, I'm being throttled by my ISP HARD. I'm down to 20 Kb/s for downloads. :bang head :bang head

So naturally sites load slow...
But not OCF.:thup: I assume that OCF saves a lot of site layout info and such to Chrome's cache right?

Well some sites like blackboard.com and my school's email site are slow as fug and when I'm in a rush to use them (like last night) I get pissed off.

So is there anyway to force a website to save info like layout and pictures to the cache?
Or a program to do so?

Last edited:
It may just be a bad modem or line and time to get a truck roll, if out in the sticks!

And reminds me that YouTube is making me pissed again! It's like a snail! :mad: :bang head

When you're at YouTube, folks would definitely suspect ISP throttling! It's that bad!

No bad lines here RJ, I know why they are throttling too, so I can't go and complain to them :-/

I had to download part of the Bitcoin blockchain twice. 4 Gb first time then 7 Gb just a few days ago.

That ate up our monthly 20 Gb allowance, so they are throttling us now becasue we are over our limits.

They have 2 options: Pay extra and have full speed, or pay nothing and be throttled.
It seems we have the latter option, which IMO I prefer. More $$ in our pockets :D

Or time to stop using leaving your bandwidth sucking wallet open like we suggested in the other thread. Instead of fixing the symptoms, fix the root cause (which he has done I believe). ;)

time for a new ISP ;)
I FIRGGIN wish. :bang head
If only I had access to DSL :rain:
Or time to stop using leaving your bandwidth sucking wallet open like we suggested in the other thread. Instead of fixing the symptoms, fix the root cause (which he has done I believe). ;)

Indeed EarthDog. My network has not bogged down NEARLY as much.

Still, no such program/plugin exists for this??
I quite surprised TBH.

if you setup a pfsense machine you can have it cache alot of stuff.
ive even seen where people have it cache steam games for lan parties so that people download the games from there instead of the internet.

as another tip, don't use so much internet. i dont even use 20gb in 30 minutes, let alone a month.

Last edited:
if you setup a pfsense machine you can have it cache alot of stuff.
ive even seen where people have it cache steam games for lan parties so that people download the games from there instead of the internet.

as another tip, don't use so much internet. i dont even use 20gb in 30 minutes, let alone a month.

pfwho? :confused:

Yeah I ditched the Satoshi Bitcoin wallet, so no more 14Gb uploads/downloads! :thup:

pfwho? :confused:

Yeah I ditched the Satoshi Bitcoin wallet, so no more 14Gb uploads/downloads! :thup:

yup, bitcoin will do that for you :thup: and as wagex mentioned, use PFSense (linux router distribution) as your gateway to the internet with another computer.

you can set up caching which means if person X goes to www.ebay.com or ocforums.com it downloads all the information then sends it to you. if person Y does the same thing later on, or even person X the pfsense router will check and update with the server to send the changes, this method reduces bandwidth being sent in / out to the ISP. you will then be sent those image via the server and not the website. think of it like a middleman he passes the information to you, however, he holds onto it for a period of time incase you need it again.

yup, bitcoin will do that for you :thup: and as wagex mentioned, use PFSense (linux router distribution) as your gateway to the internet with another computer.

you can set up caching which means if person X goes to www.ebay.com or ocforums.com it downloads all the information then sends it to you. if person Y does the same thing later on, or even person X the pfsense router will check and update with the server to send the changes, this method reduces bandwidth being sent in / out to the ISP. you will then be sent those image via the server and not the website. think of it like a middleman he passes the information to you, however, he holds onto it for a period of time incase you need it again.

I need this!!!

you will need a spare pc with 2 network adapters. one goes into the modem and other goes to a switch or router that is turned into a switch.

i want to say there is a guide somewhere on here to set it up.

:bang head

Currently, I'm being throttled by my ISP HARD. I'm down to 20 Kb/s for downloads. :bang head :bang head

So naturally sites load slow...
But not OCF.:thup: I assume that OCF saves a lot of site layout info and such to Chrome's cache right?

Well some sites like blackboard.com and my school's email site are slow as fug and when I'm in a rush to use them (like last night) I get pissed off.

So is there anyway to force a website to save info like layout and pictures to the cache?
Or a program to do so?

Necro, but I feel the need to solve some of my old threads.

Wingate 7 has an HTTP cache in it, and allows a free license to the average pc user (NOT business's!)'
I've been using it for a few months now and it has saved me about 700Mb it says. :thup:

Mostly images and such I believe. If I had MySQL installed, I could switch the cache over to that for more performance and the ability to add and remove cache entries from the database. But I don't so I'm stuck with the built into Windows - MS Jet engine database :-/

It works fine - no noticable lag.
Simply chance your proxy setting in Windows to use your internal IP address and the correct port. (Default is port 80 IIRC)

Back