• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

wireless N questions / help

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

wagex

Chapstick Eating Premium Member
ok so here goes, i have two different wireless N access points one belkin one versatek.

i also have two wireless N adapters one is an intel centrino advanced-n 2200 and one is a 10 dollar usb dongle... neither one will connect to either AP correctly. both will connect, both will be assigned IP's but that is about as far as it goes, after that they will work very slowly for about 20 seconds and then finally just drop out. anyone have similar issues with wireless N? if so what did you do to fix it?

ive tried b/g/n mode ive tried N only mode tried 2.4ghz and 5ghz... nothing seems to work right.

i wanted to do the upgrade to N mostly because my htpc streams from my server and wireless G is starting to give me some occasional buffering when playing BR rips that are over 10gb.

I had an issue with wireless N where the devices weren't connecting with the same channel width (there are two modes, 20 MHz and 40 MHz). When I got the router and card on the same mode, I was able to transfer data normally. I would check those settings on both your card and router and make sure they match.

i think i tried that, il try it again when i get home, thanks!

welp just had a break through, disabled security all together was getting transfer speeds that maxxed out my 100mb line feeding it. but it still died shortly after. it also messed up my wireless keyboard doing it too lol.

well kind of a necro, but i finally got bgn working... weird, same exact settings and everything as i had with my two other access points. the new modem / router that came with my upgraded att service the wireless bgn works fine, i only get about 5MB/s but not bad considering i was using a $5 usb adapter, il be getting a nice adapter in the mail in the next couple days so i expect better connection speeds, finally not bottlenecking my internet connection anymore :)

Back