• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Upgrading an old Modem... 7800N To...???

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Mjolnir

Yo,

Currently running a Billion 7800N with pairs up with a lower end TP link router in my room (Modem in study, several metres away), and the wireless performance (range, rather) of both are rather crap. Ideally I'd replace the TP link router which is also projecting wireless with a standard basic switch for my room (splitting into a PS3/Computer), and just have one single powerful wireless connection throughout the house, but my 7800N just isn't cutting it range wise..

I'm on ADSL2+, so AC and all that isn't really useful to me, as I'm going for range rather than straight throughput. My Phone gets 1-2 bars out of 4 in my room from my Billion, which is only several metres away(5?) and through one wall (with a mirror in between too if that makes a difference).

What would be a good Modem/Router to look at? I've been told by a technician at my work just stick with a solid Wireless N modem/router, like the Asus DSL 55U or something, but I feel like it's potentially a side grade? Plus it's running a Trend chip I think, and my current has a Broadcom, which I believe is better for my circumstance (1.5-2km away from exchange).

I was thinking about upgrading to one of the 7800DX or VDPX, etc ranges, but would this really benefit?

Trying to avoid wireless extenders, etc, here as well. Just want to keep a single signal, no other signals in the house (well, one 2.4 and one 5ghz signal).

Your help is appreciated! Thanks!

EDIT:

Would I be better off Bridging the 7800N (stable connection, almost never drops out, no issues with the Modem itself) with just a more powerful router? I was trying to simplify everything, but if this is going to give me the best performance ultimately, I'll look into this.

Last edited:
What ISP do you have?
Do you know what DOCSIS level your ISP needs?

Contact your isp, and find out what modems they support. Once you have the modem, you will need to provide them with the make, model, and most importantly the CMAC address, so your modem can be provisioned.

Here is some info about DOCSIS, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DOCSIS

Yeah. I've got one at the moment. The modem part is great. Solid, decent connection speeds at least compared to my prior modem router. But it's really only the wireless performance and range that lacks. I won't get much faster connection speeds or any better snr or line attenuation at all given my distance from the exchange. Etc.

Any particular recommendations on a router? Currently I have: http://www.mwave.com.au/product/tpl...50-dual-band-gigabit-router-nbn-ready-aa80549

And find its range is fairly horrid. On both bands (understanding 5ghz is typically shorter than 2.4 anyway). This is just more for the sake of a switch in my room to split my 20m ethernet cable out haha. But getting wireless AC also seems somewhat pointless. But anything not AC may not be powerful enough on the normal 2.4? Range is most important here, and I understand repeaters/wireless extenders lose a throughput of up to 50% when used, so not really keen on these.

I ended up replacing the TP link router entirely in my room with the Asus RT AC68U. The Wireless N performance (after checking reviews) was adequate for my setup, and I was surprised that the signal from my room through the study (where the Billion is) and through to my brothers room, is similar in strength if not stronger in some cases than the Billions, even though it was only a few metres vs several + extra walls away.

Overall impressed with the range, the 5ghz range although 'less' than 2.4ghz typically, has a stronger effective range than the 7800N 2.4ghz. (Currently I have no AC capable devices) but always good to have for the future I suppose.

Setup was easy and quick. Pretty happy with the purchase, got it cheaper through work, at near cost price. I now just use the 7800N as a modem/router without the wireless (turned off completely). But still require the ethernet ports as a switch currently as we have a powerline connection for pay-tv box so my dad can watch his things and save/download whatever, etc.

Back