• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Ati's STUPID Driver site........

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

CougarSE

[vent]

Well I'm dual booting Fedora Core 6 and Windows XP.

Before I left work I figured I would download the Ati driver for my x800 (32bit system).

Browsed through there little stupid driver search thing by clicking on Linux X86 (not X86_64) --> Radeon-->x800

*5hrs later*

Well after trying to install the driver I downloaded (and denying that I had a 64bit driver even though it says 64bit in the name) I went to Ati's website and checked something. You get a link to download this "ati-driver-installer-8.31.5-x86.x86_64.run" at both the 32bit and 64bit sections of the site.

So in the address bar I go.... and hack off the "_64" of the full path of the download. Well guess what? I'm prompted to download "ati-driver-installer-8.31.5-x86.x86.run", note lack of "_64".

So yeah I'm ****ed, I downloaded that at work because of the Healthy T1, and uber slow dialup at home. It will take forever to download 50 megs here at the farm so I'll be waiting (and angry) until monday as there is a company outing tomorrow...

@$%@%$%&^#@#$@!!@#$^&**^%& ATI!!!!!

But anyhoo I am typing this in Firefox on Fedora *yay me*

[/vent]

Yup, and after all that work, the drivers aren't all that good. Are you sure there isn't a distro specific package for those? Many distros have them in their package repositories.

You know, I was on an ATI kick for a while, because I really like the underdog, and they make some great cards, some of which are real bargains.
But when I decided to build a Linux machine, I decided to get a 7600gt, because I have heard your story, or a variation, from so many others, including myself. I had a few x1800 series cards, and it took almost 6months from the release of them for ATI to step up and provide a Linux driver...and the open source version didnt support the x1800's back then either.

Back