• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Games Freeze, white noise from speakers, PSU fan keeps running after power off

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

LegolasElf

Guys,

I'm running into a bit of an annoying issue. I just started running dual GIGABYTE 7970 GHz cards in CrossFire and I can't seem to game for longer than 10 minutes without my PC locking up completely with crazy white screetching noise coming out of the speakers. I am currently running my 2600k at 4.5GHz with 1.38 Vcore.

CPU temps on load are 60-62C. GPU temps do not exceed 72C. One strange thing I have noticed is that when my PC locks up during gaming, and when I hold down the power button on the case, and once it goes off, I can still hear my power supply fan running for about an extra minute or two after the PC has been shut off. What does this mean?

I have wiped AMD GPU drivers completely using driver sweeper and re-installed cleanly.

So far I have seen the 101 and 124 BSOD BCcodes. Any help is greatly welcome.

EDIT: Theres an awlful lot of heat coming out of my PSU when I have CrossFire enabled. However, I don't see why my PSU should be a problem given that my +12volt rails are rated for 70 amps.

Last edited:
Maybe your psu is getting old and losing juice? Or is it gathering dust and overheating? Just suggesting a few things, I'm not an expert.

Interesting only thing that I can see being maybe an issue is at those clocks you could be drawing right around the limits of an 850 watt but ive known corsair power supplies to be good for a tad bit more than they are rated. My old vx550 ran 570 sli for a little bit before I upgraded to a bigger unit, though I doubt it was very happy about it. From what I can tell those 7970's really start pulling watts when overclocked so I dont know under the circumstances from adding the second card and there both over clocked 100mhz from what I can see in your sig Id look at trying another power supply if you can some how get your hands on another more powerful unit. The fan on the psu staying on makes me think it got to hot or went past its limits in some way, the fan turns right off when you had the single card and shut the computer off im guessing?

AS I read your sig you are using 2 cards? yes?

If so that 850w wont cut it

Z

AS I read your sig you are using 2 cards? yes?

If so that 850w wont cut it

Z
No sir, the 850W PSU he has plenty. For an example, I had two 7970's @ 1250/1800(somewhere in there) 1.325v and 3770K at 4.9GHz 1.5v somewhere in there) and pulled a total of 735W AT THE WALL (90% efficient PSU so around 660W actual) using 3dMark11.

This was actually resolved already... and was determined that his PCH heatsink was getting too hot.

I didnt realize the 2 threads were connected. And thank you for the correction. I was thinking of the other stuff he had too. I thought he might have been pushing that PSU a bit. Im glad he got it fixed. It should kick butt !!!

Z

No sir, the 850W PSU he has plenty. For an example, I had two 7970's @ 1250/1800(somewhere in there) 1.325v and 3770K at 4.9GHz 1.5v somewhere in there) and pulled a total of 735W AT THE WALL (90% efficient PSU so around 660W actual) using 3dMark11.

This was actually resolved already... and was determined that his PCH heatsink was getting too hot.

That makes sense, I had a feeling that the 850w wasn't the problem but thats a hard thing to figure out right there haha especially since the cards are gonna cover that heat sink.

Back