• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

First Time OC

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

beeftothetaco

I've never overclocked in my life. Ever. I want to, but I'm deathly afraid of melting my CPU into a puddle. I downloaded the most recent version of ASUS TurboV Evo since I don't want to go in BIOS if I don't have to, but I have no idea what half of the sliders/settings even mean. Can you guy's help me out? Here are the relevant specs:

Intel i7 3770k 3.5Ghz

MSI GTX 670

8GB DDR3 Kingston HyperXBlue

Seasonic X850 Gold 850w

ASUS Z77 Sabertooth MB

EDIT: Also: - Corsair H100 Extreme CPU Cooler
-Corsair Obsidian 650D Case

First off, welcome! Secondly, congrats and thank you for figuring out how to use the edit key! Most new people can't quite grasp the concept of not double posting LOL

In terms of your OC, you definitely have the right parts for it. Your mobo, PSU, and CPU cooler are top notch! You should not be scared of doing a BIOS overclock. It is very simple and will be more stable than one done through an app.

If you only want to get up to 4.0 - 4.5, you likely will not have to change anything but the CPU multiplier. Currently, it'll be set to auto for you and you'll change it to manual (40 - 45).

To go higher, or if for some reason it isn't stable there you'll just bump up the voltage in small increments until it can pass Prime95 testing for an hour or so.

Here's a detailed guide on the process..

http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=693613

Back