• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Seagate drives?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

FyreDaug

I'm a huge fan of WD, used them since the day I built the first computer. However I'm stuck with IDE drives and im going SATA anyday now. I found a good price on a 160gig sata 8mb cache. But its by seagate, never used them, and know nothing of them.

I also notices the average seek time is higher than the WD competition. Should I try to find some WD drives? Its kind of hard to find em around here.

Any good/bad things about seagate?

Seagate makes an excellent, quiet, and durable hard drive. I think they came in second place for everyone's favorite manufacturer. Western-Digital was first, but you will NOT be disappointed with a Seagate. I use a Seagate for backup.

i think seagates are better than wd..very quiet..very relibable..and plus the 5 yr warrenty doesnt hurt

go seagate and u wont be sorry

I have this 30gig 2mb Seagate drive that's running strong and it's 3+ years old. Recently I just purchased an 80gig Seagate because my Maxtor crapped out on me but that's a different story. Plus they upgraded their warranty on most of their drives to 5 years now. That shows how much they back up their drives. Plus they are the most quietest drives in my system.

from what I've seen of seagate drives they're great. Got one for a friend the other day, a 200 gig 8mb cache ide, suprised me just how fast it is, 55 mb/s, my other friend got kind of annoyed cause its just as fast as his 2x80 gig wd raid 0 setup lol

FyreDaug said:
Lets hope their sata drives are as good then

I think they should be just as fast if not a little bit faster, when I was picking up my friends drive I looked at some of the sata models cause I was considering picking up one myself, anyways the stats were exactly the same, seek time, etc.

The seagates are quiet when they are running, but noisy when they are idle!
When the drive is idle, it runs a program internally that moves the heads in a pattern that promotes even cooling over the discs. This is, however, quite noisy and happens at least every minute. To top it off, you cannot disable this feature.
Maxtor's are dead silent, moreso than the Seagate because of this.

Do a search on "seagate" and "click" or "noisy" both on the web and on Seagates site. I forget the exact name of this "feature" but it does exists, and coming from Maxtors, I find it extremely annoying.

My new maxtor, setup with acoustic management is still just a little louder than my seagate. I have never heard noise when my seagate is idle, which it is now most the time since it is a slave drive. It was dead silent when it was the primary and I am obsessed with silencing computer noise.

Another good word for seagate. I got 2x120 gig (8meg) 7200.7 SATA drives in my system it just flies. They are quiet when seeking and dead silent when idle. Plus the 5 year warrenty sold me. Good to see a company stand behind their product.

Should mention it's in RAID.

Last edited:
I love my Seagate SATA's had them nearly a year now, not one problem.

Last edited:
Back