• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Opterons from the Egg? Good stepping?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Sniper.nkc said:
Sounds like you have a good one. Let us know what is the max you can get with minimum vcore, and which warehouse did you get your CPU.

I live about 5 miles from their Memphis Tennessee warehouse. It came from there.

Here's the info from the CPU.

'0' or 'O'SA185DAA6CD
CCBBE0613RPMW
1443491C60186

I still havent tried to go above 2.86 because I upgraded the hardware in my Samba Box yesterday and that obviously required a reinstallation of the OS and all patches and apps that I like

I'm also using Corsair Value Series RAM so it's not the best for overclocking.

Anyone have suggestions for some good overclocking RAM? (not DDR2)

AMD Opteron 185

OSA185DAA6CD
CBBE 0613RPMW
1443491C60242

Rowland Warehouse
17708 Rowland St.
City of Industry,CA 91748

Here's to what better cooling (Scythe SCNJ-1100P) will bring :beer:

For the DFI board try G.skill pc400 or pc4000 also OCZ pc400 or pc4000. They all seem to overclock pretty well on DFI.

QuietIce said:
Never owned a DFI so I'm not sure what RAM works best with them. Seems like a lot of DFI owners use OCZ ...

If you want a 2x512mb kit, then any TCCD is probably best (OCZ/Patriot/G.Skill/Corsair). High voltage stuff like BH-5/UTT has known issues with these DFI nF4 boards due to a VTT bug in the boards. However, I do believe those issues were fixed with the Expert version.

If you want a 2x1gb kit, then any Samsung UCCC(G.Kill HZs), Infineon CE-5/6 (OCZ Plat EBs/Patriot 3500LLK), or Micron. Can't remember the model on the Micron ICs but they were in the 2x1gb PC4000 Ballistix. However, those first revision Ballistix had issues and many had to RMA.

Also, a lot of these kits aren't easy to find anymore... almost none are available for purchase. UCCC is generally characterized as PC4000 w/3-4-4-8 timings. CE-6 is generally characterized as PC4000 w/3-3-2-8 timings.

Here's what's available @ the Egg right now... slim pickin's IMO.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...Subcategory=147&description=&Ntk=&srchInDesc=

Got mine today still in the box, AMD Opteron 185

OSA185DAA6CD
CBBE 0613RPMW
1443491C60334

Rowland Warehouse
City of Industry,CA 91748

Looks like the 185s are still nice CCBBEs. I bet the 165s we're seeing now (at least from TN) are repackaged X2s. Due to the higher demand for the cheaper 165 processor... AMD simply just ran out of the good ones... and used extra 939 X2 stock to put more 165s back on the market.

And those 185s you guys are getting look pretty good, but I just can't spend 300+ on a cpu right now.... not with Barcelona around the corner. ;)

...continues to search the classies. :)

harlam357 said:
If you want a 2x512mb kit, then any TCCD is probably best (OCZ/Patriot/G.Skill/Corsair). High voltage stuff like BH-5/UTT has known issues with these DFI nF4 boards due to a VTT bug in the boards. However, I do believe those issues were fixed with the Expert version.

If you want a 2x1gb kit, then any Samsung UCCC(G.Kill HZs), Infineon CE-5/6 (OCZ Plat EBs/Patriot 3500LLK), or Micron. Can't remember the model on the Micron ICs but they were in the 2x1gb PC4000 Ballistix. However, those first revision Ballistix had issues and many had to RMA.

Also, a lot of these kits aren't easy to find anymore... almost none are available for purchase. UCCC is generally characterized as PC4000 w/3-4-4-8 timings. CE-6 is generally characterized as PC4000 w/3-3-2-8 timings.

Here's what's available @ the Egg right now... slim pickin's IMO.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...Subcategory=147&description=&Ntk=&srchInDesc=

I grabbed some of that $150 2x1GB Kingston HyperX PC3200 from a month or two ago. Turns out it's BE-5 (had never heard of it before I started reading around), and it's currently puttering along at 255MHz 3-3-2-8 with 2.6v. It seems like a great deal to me, and I'm honestly wondering why more people didn't go for something like this, especially for so cheap. I don't think it has much headroom left past where I am right now, though.

Some of the later Corsair XMS 3500LL modules use the BE-5 too. Stock 2-3-2-6 at 2.75v and at 255 MHz I run 3-3-2-6-1T @ 2.8v forever. I've run it in Memtest up to 260 but didn't have a reason to test higher ...

Back