• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Overclocking To 4.8? Athlon

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

SoarinPONY

I have a Athlon ii x4 640 at 4.0 Ghz on Stock FAN... (You've probably face palmed by now.) It doesn't overheat but it sounds like a turbine engine, besides I'd enjoy a higher speed.

I was reccomended to a Coolermaster 212+ EVO and I saw a Core i5 at 4.8Ghz never go over 90c with prime3d... Would you reccomend this fan for me?

My budget is anything around 20 or 30, no higher than 40.

Good luck getting that CPU to 4.8GHz stable on air... no matter what air. Here is a shot of Hwbot showing Wprime (multithread application which stresses all the cores) showing that 4Ghz is barely possible.

Not saying you cant get higher, but... just saying that Im not sure its in the cards while actually being 24/7 stable.

What are your temps at those clocks?

The fact, that you hit 4 GHz on that chip is almost a miracle. Propus core wasn't designed with overclocking in mind, it was more of a budget solution, next to Deneb Phenom II processors, when it was released.

There absolutelly no chance you are going to hit 4.8 on air with that chip. But getting aftermarket cooling may still be worthwhile, to stabilize the chip and perhaps prolong its life due to cooler temperature. I also doubt, that it is even truly stable at that speed.

My max temp I saw it at was like 56c with 4.0 Ghz, but I achieved 4.2, but I don't even feel safe at 4.0. I just hate slow computers. But is the 212 EVO a good cooler for any future upgrades? I plan to do a Phenom ii 965 or 955, possibly a 945 in the future. I heard that fan is a good one...

That cooler is not "the best cooler" but it is probably the best price performance cooler out there as of now and it should give you a decent platform to start overclocking from

Back