• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New 8.1 install questions

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

papadan

Well I finally installed 8.1 on a new drive & I will admit that I was one of those people that just believed that I wouldn't like the new UI.

Not too bad at all! It boots up to the old desktop & you wouldn't have to go to the 8.1 UI if you didn't really want to. I just went into the 8.1 UI start menu & blew everything away & put the stuff I had pined to my old start menu in win 7 in there. All is good! I do have a copy of classic shell but as of right now I'm not planning on installing it.

I do have some questions for you savvy 8.1 users.
Is there a way to bypass that first splash screen that comes up with the date & time on it?

Is there a way that I can set it up so I don't have to enter a password each time I boot up? I have tried everything I can think of with no luck.

Thanks in advance Dan

I'm pretty sure it works just like in Windows 7. Did you try using netplwiz (Windows + R) and then under the user settings somewhere you can uncheck that users have to enter a name and password to log in. There should be an automatic log in option too.
DO NOT use that feature on laptop, but I'm sure you're aware of that.
For a more convenient log in you can switch from password to a PIN code, too.

You can bypass the splash screen, Run-> the type "netplwiz" without quotes. You have the User accounts dialog box, uncheck "Users must enter a user name and password to use this computer" Restart your computer, and you should be good to go.

I'm pretty sure it works just like in Windows 7. Did you try using netplwiz (Windows + R) and then under the user settings somewhere you can uncheck that users have to enter a name and password to log in. There should be an automatic log in option too.
DO NOT use that feature on laptop, but I'm sure you're aware of that.
For a more convenient log in you can switch from password to a PIN code, too.
Hi, didn't know about netplwiz, it worked & got rid of the splash screen also. Thanks

mimart7, thanks also, I was typing as your message came in.

Next question, on the apps page of the 8.1 UI it seems that by default windows is putting too many entries in there. Entries like readme files, sample files, uninstall & such. Is there anyway other than deleting the shortcut to have these things not appear on this page? I'm just deleting the shortcut to clean this page up a little.

Thanks Dan

You can uninstall things you don't need like weather, sports etc. It looks like you can't delete the shortcuts for the readme's. However, if you don't need/want those files they can be deleted. Right click on the file-> Open file in location, and then you can delete them. If there are any major apps that you don't use like Internet Explorer, Media Center, those can be unistalled through the Control Panel. Programs & Features -> Turn Windows features On And Off.

Are you talking about the actual apps on the left or about the search column on the right? In the latter I think there is no way of getting rid of the entries except deleting like you already suggested. I use that for starting apps and the right .exe is displayed first i most of the cases, so I don't mind about the other things that might come up.

You can uninstall things you don't need like weather, sports etc. It looks like you can't delete the shortcuts for the readme's. However, if you don't need/want those files they can be deleted. Right click on the file-> Open file in location, and then you can delete them. If there are any major apps that you don't use like Internet Explorer, Media Center, those can be unistalled through the Control Panel. Programs & Features -> Turn Windows features On And Off.
Hi, yes I've uninstalled all of that stuff, if I want any of them I have them on my home page in the internet. I have been able to delete the readme files. I right click the entry, click on open file location, right click the shortcut & click delete.
Thanks

Are you talking about the actual apps on the left or about the search column on the right? In the latter I think there is no way of getting rid of the entries except deleting like you already suggested. I use that for starting apps and the right .exe is displayed first i most of the cases, so I don't mind about the other things that might come up.
Yes I'm talking right side. I'll just continue deleting the shortcuts. It was just starting to get really cluttered up already so I thought I'd clean it up.

Thanks

Back