• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Retro AMD

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
1500mhz HT clocks NB clocks?

Driving up bus frequency to 300 and stability testing 3300mhz cpu, 1500mhz HT and the memory is on loose set up to ensure stability. Been testing about an hour and a half with Cpu load temps at 49c, slight bump in voltage and away we go.

But I have a quick question, looking to confirm if the HT and NB speeds are linked and If I can use the HT stock divider to determine NB clocks?

Attachments

• 300 bus 1500mhz HT.png
    300 bus 1500mhz HT.png
    49.8 KB · Views: 132
Here's the picture I wanted to upload. My mistake.

Attachments

• 300 bus 1500mhz HT plus temps.png
    300 bus 1500mhz HT plus temps.png
    60 KB · Views: 125
I... I started overclocking when bulldozer launched... Am I retro yet guys

Pretty close.

AMD publicly said at a chip conference that each Bulldozer dual-core CPU module with 2MB unified L2 cache contains 213 million transistors

Link http://www.xbitlabs.com/news/cpu/di..._Microprocessors_But_Some_Secrets_Remain.html

Athlon 64 6400+ x2 Manufacturing process 0.09 micron
243 million transistors

Link
http://www.cpu-world.com/CPUs/K8/AM...6400IAA6CZ (ADX6400CZBOX - ADX6400CZWOF).html

Can't believe you guys. Want me to overclock this thing, it stopped working. :bang head

Can't get over 300 bus atm? Not sure what I did wrong or why it just stopped dead in the tracks :bang head

Go 302, no posts and blue screens :(

Ah HAH!!

So it would seem when I drop the Cpu multiplier to x10, the system just doesn't like it at all. I tried upping the NB and HT voltages, no luck. Bump the Cpu voltage, more no luck.

But at a x11 multiplier, this processor seems to want to go more. My only issue is the cooling how it is now is probably only good up to 3400mhz with a touch more voltage. I don't feel comfortable running chips hot, so I won't be passing 3400mhz for a daily clock.

So far 302 and counting! Going to Prime 95 this once I get a few more bus clicks up and perhaps use it daily like this. 1500mhz + NB/HT linked (I'm assuming the NB is linked to HT)

Attachments

• 302 bench stable.png
    302 bench stable.png
    143.2 KB · Views: 123
Ya BSOD while I was away at 302 bus. No good.

I think the NB/HT is about maxed out. Sad I was hoping for 1750 HT/NB clocks, obviously that's a no go.....

Thanks for watching! Hope to fire up the s939 soon. Gotta get the new bios flashed onto it and hope that helps with the quirkyness of that one.

Stay tuned.! :popcorn:

DFI UT EXPERT

It has begun!

running currently 3500+ 130nm NewCastle. Stock is 200x11 2.2ghz. Current OC only 200mhz for testing of the new bios. With ease this chip just goes.

Fully Hotswapped operating system. It was at one time a daily OS for AM3+ and also i7 s1155. Now hotswapped to s939. If I have issues, that would be one reason why lol.

But for now, seems very stable.

One quirk this particular motherboard has with me is setting start up voltage past 1.45v. The board just cycles restarts before even entering the bios. I overcame that by raising special VID to 107% giving roughly 1.6v cpu core and a decent little 200mhz OC.

Will be pushing this some more, but for tonight, I got the bios flashed and a small OC and now I'm going to hang it up.

Note: battery voltage is low and tested nearly the same as the HWMonitor readout. I will be replacing this battery with a brand new one tomorrow.

Attachments

• 3500+ OC new bios 2400mhz.png
    3500+ OC new bios 2400mhz.png
    84.7 KB · Views: 100
The continuing overclock 3500+ liquid cooled. A couple of screen shots pushing up to 2.7ghz now, temps under 50c. A pretty happy processor, it's doing pretty good. Got the voltage up past 1.7v, may be able to handle 1.8v and beyond, but haven't gotten that far yet! The bios update has done wonders for stability.

Attachments

• 3500+ OC new bios 2600mhz.png
    3500+ OC new bios 2600mhz.png
    55.1 KB · Views: 103
  • 3500+ OC new bios 2700mhz.png
    3500+ OC new bios 2700mhz.png
    56.3 KB · Views: 83
Newcastle's aren't stellar clockers. It's run out of gas quickly. Someplace in the 2.8 range on water.
Glad the board works good. :thup:

Newcastle chips need to be cold for best results but not DICE or LN2 cold, these chips CB like no one's business.

I can push both of my 754 Newcastle chips above 2.9 on chilled water but not much past that. These chips will get hot but fast, it's just a quirk of the core type it is.

Yea 2.8ghz sounds about right. I did get a blue screen at 2.8ghz, but I am thinking it's a result of the software.... I get like 400mhz from ClockGen and then it craps out. Last time I started OC in bios at 2.2ghz and couldn't get past 2.6ghz.

Hopefully sometime Sunday I can get a chance to test this theory and start pumping more and more voltage.

If all else fails Bones, I'll get the TEC out and see if it responds to some Chilling. I have a feeling that around 2.0v, the TEC I have will get heat soaked. All I DO know is these chips start to LOVE big voltage after 2.8ghz if memory serves correctly.

I'm hitting 2.7ghz with usability, I'm very satisfied with that! :thup:

EDIT: also have a 3400+ and a Opty 170 to throw down with!!

And I did get a tad more from the daily Driver A64 6400+ as well. Thought I'd share this little OC.

Had to loosen timings for stability as I don't want to Pump Ram voltage at Cas 4 for stability, so I have it running 5-5-5-15 @ 1.88v and 425mhz. HT/NB linked at 1300mhz and a Cpu clock of 3400mhz Under 1.5v + 3% LLC for a top load voltage of 1.536v according to HWMonitor.

The Cpu-z's for you guys there.... I cannot say how much I really like this chip. It just humps like a dual core Phenom II! I swear it. But I think the SSD has a lot to do with the system's snappiness as well being back in the old days we had to wait on our HDs lol.

Attachments

• 6400+ 3400mhz daily clocks.png
    6400+ 3400mhz daily clocks.png
    27 KB · Views: 73
Ahh 939, I played with a lot of Athlons, X2-3800, X2-4400, 4000, 3x00.

Performance of them OC'd is still perfectly usable today, sadly both my mobos died from bad caps, sigh.

Is it easy getting a 939 board for OCing?

AM2 is definitely not retro, DDR2, bahh.

Ahh 939, I played with a lot of Athlons, X2-3800, X2-4400, 4000, 3x00.

Performance of them OC'd is still perfectly usable today, sadly both my mobos died from bad caps, sigh.

Is it easy getting a 939 board for OCing?

AM2 is definitely not retro, DDR2, bahh.

If you look, the boards are out there. It's the processors that are becoming hard to find. Or you pay big moneys.

My Favorite of most platforms is s754 TBH. I've had some good luck with that socket as far as overclocking goes. At home for daily use, I actually went from sA right to s939 and it was like WOW at the time.

I hope to replace all the caps in this DFI board with solid caps. I'd like to see how it performs with some NEW new hardware on it. If I do a good job with soldering that is. Wish I had an identical board to practice on first, cause this one OC's pretty well the way it is. And because of that, I haven't gotten any further than the idea of replacing the caps lol. It's not that "it aint broken don't fix it" it's more like trying to make it better and hopefully noticeably better.

Since Solid caps started covering the motherboards regularly, so did the stability of the overclocking. Kinda put us where we are at now, that was done on AM2, pioneer of nice Big solid caps on AM2 M3A32 MVP 790FX chipsets.

So in a nut shell, bring some newer hw to a retro platform.

This thread at some point in time..... can't say when just yet while contemplating this cap replacement deal. I would like to do every single cap, but thinking do the Major power grid first for the Cpu, perhaps even posting the board after each cap is replaced to ensure the darn thing doesn't get bricked. I dunno, still in thought about it.

Shrimpy, you don't have any dead boards to practice on?

Nope. I haven't killed a motherboard in a loong time. The last 2 I LNed are in still good working order, one being used daily as a matter of fact.

Since I/We don't replace caps too often, this will be a challenge.

Nope. I haven't killed a motherboard in a loong time. The last 2 I LNed are in still good working order, one being used daily as a matter of fact.

Since I/We don't replace caps too often, this will be a challenge.
I have a dead gigabyte am2 board I can send ya to practice on if you want. I used it to practice on the caps as well. I replaced all the caps on my two Nvidia 7600 gt's.

I have a dead gigabyte am2 board I can send ya to practice on if you want. I used it to practice on the caps as well. I replaced all the caps on my two Nvidia 7600 gt's.

I would take this offer if I knew the solder was the same on the old DFI board and that AM2 board. That will make a difference in the way I use the soldering gun/s and the type of solder I need to get. So I do need to research what DFI used for solder and also look into if there's a coating like I've found on OEM boards that I had to remove before I could solder.

Any pointers on which solder would be best for use, I'm all ears.

FX-5000 quad core cpu.

Looking for a processor or two for the AM2+ board, I remembered a 5000+ unlocker. It would show in cpu-z as FX-5000. To renew the fun with this particular processor I found one and bought it!

Now it was a belief this was what the Agena quad core Phenom I processors was based off of.

Any how I did have one of these some years back and had to research a little about it. It looks like it took big voltage to unlock this bad boy to a quad core and get some mhz from it. This cpu-z will show 4 cores well over 1.6v and only 2750mhz but it was a running quad for the luck of it all.

FX-5000 x4 RB-C2 stepping 2010 oc (with 5750's in crossfire :D )
http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=1192869

Cpu World Info -
http://www.cpu-world.com/CPUs/K10/AMD-Athlon X2 5000+ - AD5000ODJ22GI (AD5000ODGIBOX).html

I'm hoping the used one I'm getting does in fact unlock and hopefully can OC to around 3ghz.

These DO unlock extra cache as well making it a true full on quad core processor, but as a 5000+ x2, that L3 cache is cut if I remember correctly.

The 6400+ is good fun, but I thought this would be an interesting chip to OC in my spare times if and when I get some! lol.

Back