• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

choosing a mobo. Need help !

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Hey Johan45 buddy. johan45 knows I have 2x giga 990fxa ud3 boards. A rev 1.1 and a rev 4. The Rev 4 is a has a new heatsink design for the bridge with a heatpipe going over to the mosfets. Both a great overclockers. I am running a 8350 at 4.4 on the rev under full load 24/7/365 and a 8320 @ 4.4 on the rev 1.1 under full load 24/7/365 (crunching) Both are under water and run very cool and happy.

Last edited:
HI ALL ! I find something about the new msi 970 Gaming :clap: . Is a review from a Thai page where they make a "extreme oc" to the MOBO with a octa FX9590. I translate the page but I dont have enought english level (or informatic knowledge) to understant everything. Can i have your help guys ? maybe we can find out if it is good MOBO at the end...
Thank you so much!
Ill wait replys :D :comp:

Translated LINK:
(http://translate.googleusercontent....all/1/&usg=ALkJrhitwxrW-7XhYjuEH2NM57iX5XM67g)

Well they did a great job presenting the board, which is their intent. They say it's an 8 phase board which is a step in the right direction but they never once stress tested with anything other than AIDA64 which isn't enough in my books. They put the big numbers in there to impress and wow people and I'm sure it works. They were also using a watercooling setup. In reality those CPUs aren't that easy to stabilize as that artyicle would have you believe.
MSI had a bad run with motherboards in the not so distant past and I wouldn't want to be the guinea pig who tries out their new boards.

MSI had a bad run with motherboards in the not so distant past and I wouldn't want to be the guinea pig who tries out their new boards.

+1
AM3/AM3+ has been shaky at best for MSI.

Stick to Asus/Gigabyte/ASRock, but only the top-end boards from any of them.
8+2 VRM at a MINIMUM

<--- This guy used to be an MSI fan boi. Now I do my research and buy the best I can afford, not just a name brand or price point.

For the price I think this one GIGABYTE GA-970A-UD3P will probably suit you better. It's also 8 phase I believe.

But the ud3 i can buy here is the 1.1 rev so i think is not the better choice

But the ud3 i can buy here is the 1.1 rev so i think is not the better choice

The GA-970A-UD3, GA-990FXA-UD3, and GA-970A-UD3P are all very different boards.

The 1.0/1.1 of the 970A-UD3 is very good.
The 4.0 of the 990FXA-UD3 is very good.
All of the 970A-UD3P are very good.

Rev 1.0 is okay for 965BE cpu but not nearly so good for move to FX processor.

You need to post us a link to the motherboard page 'where' you will buy and let us take a look.
RGone...

Last edited:
All I see are 6 boards on that page and wouldn't buy any of them.

Of the boards you have from this site and with your tight budget the order you should consider would be in this order. Although I cannot see a rev # on these so that would need to be verified.

Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3 - verify rev#
Gigabyte GA-990XA-UD3 - EDIT: verify rev# end edit
Asus M5A97 EVO - Very mild OC capability
I wouldn't even consider anything below this as you would only be able to run a stock speeds and even then may have a shorter life span.

EDIT2: Is it possible for you to save up another 24-25 and get the 990FX Sabertooth (Non-Gen3)?

Last edited:
In that page sabertooh is around 155€. If i found and offer and i can take for 125 i think ill wait

This board has been able to work to about 4.4Ghz stable with 8 core FX processor and very very good cooling. Asus M5A99FX Pro R2.0. It is more than your 100 monies but it is the about the cheapest motherboard that we know anything about. It should do 4.4Ghz stable with 8 core FX-8350 cpu and very very good watercooling.

When you say 100.00 your money and move to FX processor, there are n0t many we have seen and that do work pretty good.
RGone...

Yes, 2 things though.

1. That is a great board for gaming which I believe is what you're looking for, so yes.

2. That list is a little outdated and is showing the previous generation of the Fata1ty line. Here is a link to the new line which has an 8+2 Power phase. Still plenty for what you want. So still yes, but not a 12+2 like you thought.

Last edited:
Back