• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

990FXA UD3 w/FX-8320 or 970A UD3P w/8350??

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
From what I can find...
OK i got the system but i had to go with the cheaper motherboard, becuase expenses fell through.
I ended up gettting the 970A d3p (4+1) + fx8320
I managed to get to 4.2ghz already and temps are 56 max but i'm not sure if it's stable for everyday use.
So what should my voltages be ideally for 4.2ghz to be stable??
I thought it was vcore until i noticed some people end up raising the north bridge voltage.
What would Your Advice be??? :shrug: Thank You:p

One persons VCORE will finder from the next that's why we never really give solid # here. with just a 4+1 you will really be limited in an OC if you can OC at all. If you want to see if your OC is stable run Prime95 Blend with HWMonitor on in the background for about 20 min at least if you get no errors or crashes you can try a bit more. At some point you will have to run Prime longer to really test for stability.

Most people will need to up their CPU/NB in their OC especially if running OCed ram.

Most people will need to up their CPU/NB in their OC especially if running OCed ram.

I managed to pass the AiDa64 stress test for a while with cpu vcore at 1.44
nb at 1.22
and temps were 57 cpu
and 60 nb (no crash but i stopped the test after a while)
edit: oh and my ram is patriot wxtremem ddr3 2133 running at 1610@ 9-9-9-24-CR1

my guess is gigabyte lower boards don't have good nb cooling. i'll upgrade the board later but for not i just wanted to get the 8 core.

My question is which is more important: the cpu vcore or the northbridge???

Thanks

Attachments

• 66.PNG
    66.PNG
    40 KB · Views: 267
I don't know what you are using for temp monitoring we recommend HWMONITOR since it tells more then just your CPU temp. In HWMonitor the CPU temp refers to your CPU Socket Temp keep this below 70*C and the Package Temp which refers to your CPU Core Temp. I don't know where you are getting your NB temp.

I don't know what you are using for temp monitoring we recommend HWMONITOR since it tells more then just your CPU temp. In HWMonitor the CPU temp refers to your CPU Socket Temp keep this below 70*C and the Package Temp which refers to your CPU Core Temp. I don't know where you are getting your NB temp.
Northbridge temp was reported in Aida64 - it's currently at 46c
this is what i'm getting and it's at 4.2ghz with a max of 57c
any advice would be appreciated Thank You:p
Ps: i don't know why the case fan doesn't show up becuase it is there along with the cooler

Attachments

• 6767.PNG
    6767.PNG
    47.7 KB · Views: 260
This is what we need to see for sure and a real good starting point.

Normally during setup and testing we disable C1/E, C6, Cool N Quiet, APM, TurboCore and in windows performance manager itself we set to "performance" mode. That way there are not "other" settings messing with the overclocking process. Some of those settings are not available on all models of cpu but where in evidence we disable for setup of overclock process.

CPU Tab in CPUz from CPUID com
attachment.php

Memory Tab in CPUz from CPUID com
attachment.php

SPD Tab in CPUz from CPUID com
attachment.php

And this is screen capture of HWMonitor (free version) from CPUID com
HWMonitor has been scrolled enough and large enough to show Min/Max of Voltages and includes the CPU CORE TEMPS / "package" temps fully visible. Latest versions of HWMonitor show the CPU Core Temp as " a Package Temp" and is only shown as a single temp since there were never multple, individual core temp sensors anyway.

This capture is made of HWMonitor after it has been open and running on the desktop logging Min/Max temps and voltages while Prime 95 was running Blend Mode test on all cores for at least 20 mins and then the capture of HWMonitor was made and it shows the Min/Max temps and voltages before P95 Blend was started and while running P95 Blend mode and gives much greater insight into how the system is performing without guessing.

attachment.php

In order to attach screenshots of INDIVIDUAL images as suggested, first crop and capture the images with Snipping Tool found in Windows Accessories or equivalent. Then click on Go Advanced, a button at the bottom of every new post window. Then click on the little paperclip tool at the top of the Advanced post window when it opens. Clicking on the paperclip tool brings up the file browser/upload tool and the rest is fairly obvious.

Normally during setup and testing we disable C1/E, C6, Cool N Quiet, APM, TurboCore and in windows performance manager itself we set to "performance" mode. That way there are not "other" settings messing with the overclocking process. Some of those settings are not available on all models of cpu but where in evidence we disable for setup of overclock process.
That part i knew about. rehearsed this 1000 times before buying. the only thing i didn't rehearse was the actual purchase and the cost overrun. it came to roughly $80.00cdn more so i had to settle for the lesserboard.
I still got a system but yeah, it'll be a slight bit more limited, however i have used lower powered boards before like the Gigabyte EP45 UD3LR so i have some experience using lower powered boards. I knew it would do it i just wasn't sure how stable;) So far so good. Nothing obvious, or BSOD's

I've actually been pleasantly surprised i haven't had any freeze ups or crashes during anything including Futuremark 3dmark 06, video encoding and Aida 64 stress test.

The 3 or 4 freeze ups occured before i forgot to raise the northbridge. I raised it to 1.23 but after that it stopped.

The CPU is sitting at 1.44 vcore and seems to vdroop to 1.42 or whatever that is called when that happens

:(:(:(I hate to put a pc through prime95, but if i did how long would you say is sufficient???:shrug:

I usually declare stability after 2 hours of P95 Blend mode as do now most of us that stay in here day after day and offer help.

Hey if you are happy with what and where you are now...then more power to you. Go and have some happy computering time with your new rig.
RGone...ster.

Well then if you say the ud3p is good enough to get er to 4.5 then fine:thup:
I'll go with the 970a ud3p. Besides this way i can afford a decent power supply with two 6 pin connectors which i'll need for this 5970 i just scored.:clap::clap::clap:

One thing to note though - i had to change the case to: "Fractal Design Define R4 Enthusiast Case, Black Pearl" because that is one long card.
But this even with the 8320 will be the most powerful system i ever had. It'll certainly handle video encoding and Crysis which used to play a lot should be really interesting with 8 cores and this card.

I know you are set on the 8320/8350 but as an owner of both a 8320 and a 6300 I think the 6300 makes for a better all around system unless you are pairing the 8320/8350 with a Sabertooth R2 and a custom water loop. Oh, I see you bought your parts. Sorry.

Last edited:
I know you are set on the 8320/8350 but as an owner of both a 8320 and a 6300 I think the 6300 makes for a better all around system unless you are pairing the 8320/8350 with a Sabertooth R2 and a custom water loop. Oh, I see you bought your parts. Sorry.
no problem :)
here's what we got so far:
Any suggestions on nb voltage, ht link, fsb or vcore??
thanks 5.PNG

4.PNG

3.PNG

Attachments

• 2 (2).PNG
    2 (2).PNG
    25.9 KB · Views: 249
  • 1 (2).PNG
    1 (2).PNG
    23.3 KB · Views: 237
  • 44.PNG
    44.PNG
    23.9 KB · Views: 254
Right now I would suggest getting your ram set to the rated speed and timings. The timings shown in the SPD tab can't be right.

Right now I would suggest getting your ram set to the rated speed and timings. The timings shown in the SPD tab can't be right.
That's what i thought too. i saw the spd tab and thought ???:shrug:. Everest reports it at 1607mhz - 9-9-9-24 CR1.
I was told 1800 is better for amd cpu's. Besides i paid for 2133 i'd like to get as close to that speed as possible something like 1800-2000...

The only way to find out is to try right? See if 9-10-9-27 will work at 1866 with 1.65v

That's cool Tung but I think you clicked on the wrong thread. This should be in putzen?

The only way to find out is to try right? See if 9-10-9-27 will work at 1866 with 1.65v
that worked i also tried this and it seemed to work
10x multiplier in bios for 2143mhz@ 10-11-10-29 and it seemed to work so now my ram is running at the rated speed, since it is 2133 mhz ram which cost me 80 bucks :shock:(Patriot Extreme)
I ran it at 4.2 ghz (21x200) all day yesterday and not once crash or bsod not during gaming or testing (the 5850 seemed to put off a burning smell so i'll have to look into that:shrug:) so i'm fine for now The last thing that was bugging me was the ram because it is rated for 2133 mhz. Later i'm gonna upgrade to a single stick of 8gb 1866 or 2133 ram but that's not for 3 months when i can afford it. After this the only think i plan to upgrade to is the AMd Bulldozer Vishera 16 core whenever it comes to enthusiast market and or fx 9590 @ 5.0ghz when they solve that temperature issue:blah:becuase currently that's just an overclocked 8320 or 8350.

Attachments

• 44.PNG
    44.PNG
    67.1 KB · Views: 235
A couple things, why one stick when two in dual channel will work better and speaking of which what slots are your ram in. CPU-z is saying you're running single channel at present.

A couple things, why one stick when two in dual channel will work better and speaking of which what slots are your ram in. CPU-z is saying you're running single channel at present.
it's a single stick of DDR3 2133 (4gb) in the first slot

Ahh, that explains it. If you were to get new ram, you'll be further ahead getting a 2x4 G matched pair for dual channel operation. Give a bit of a boost for memory performance.

Ahh, that explains it. If you were to get new ram, you'll be further ahead getting a 2x4 G matched pair for dual channel operation. Give a bit of a boost for memory performance.
I gotta be honest the reason for the single stick is because the other stick that goes with it got sold. I was in a fix for cash and had to part with it to pay a bill so....;) when times are tough sometimes ya gotta do what ya gotta do.
Anyways that is why i mentioned i would be buying a single stick of 8gb ddr 2133 or 1866 becuase that way if this emergency comes up againi can't sell it. My first priority is to maintain the integrity of my system (the original value of it).

It's just the usual b.s. when you live on a budget:(:(

Anyways thanks:thup: I got the ram to run through Crysis Warhead for 2 hours with no crash @
2143mhz
10-11-10-29 cr1
1.50 voltage
so the timings seem to be fine on the ram, and since it's 2133 i didn't have to jack up the voltage. For once i got my moneys worth. And the best part is this board isn't even rated for 2133 mhz ddr3 ram speed lol 1866 was their limit (according to the specs), which is funny becuase the GA-F2A88XM-DS2 for my 6800k was rated for 2133mhz and it was cheaper. :shrug::shrug:

Back