• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Dual Xeon 5430 Core Temp

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

mquinn

All
I am asking on this forum because here are the guys :) who know this
stuff (cpu temps etc...)

Have a Dell Precision Desktop T7400 ( 2 x E5430 ) and I used CoreTemp (http://www.alcpu.com/CoreTemp/) to measure temps (just cos i was curious) and got the following temps. Or is this tool just inaccurate/misleading.

Ambient was about 16C. The temps just seem wierd, do I expect to
see such a wide variation on temps from the same CPU ??

Especially note the temps on the CPU2 (7C ???)

But also, the wide variation of "avg" temp between CPU1 and CPU2

NOTE: 0% load
CPU 1
Core 0 = 41C
Core 1 = 61C
Core 2 = 65C
Core 3 = 28C
CPU 2
Core 0 = 7C
Core 1 = 20C
Core 2 = 19C
Core 3 = 20C

No you don't expect that kinda variation but some of the temp sensors on the 45nm quad CPUs are stuck. Download the latest RealTemp and run the sensor test. That'll probably identify the weird readings as problematic sensors. Once the cores reads are bogus then the average would also be screwed.

Let us know if that helps. :beer:

yea the sensor doesnt correctly ID idle temps... now if you saw that kind of difference with them under load, i would say bad contact of IHS to HS.

Good point Evilsizer. Seems I remember that Intel does guarantee them to work as high temp sensors to trigger warnings or shutdown if needed. Correct? :beer:

well i dont know what intel guarantee's as far as the temp sensor goes. Though the sensors does work correctly when reading load temps, imo that is all that matters. since the Thermal Trip "device" built into the cpu, will then activate once past XX degree's. depending on the motherboard you can change the shut down temp, so when XX degree's is past it will shutdown. though the thermal trip device im talking about in the cpu, once it see's XX degress. will actually lower the multi to reduce the cpu speed to get the temps down. Giving us in some cases a backup to the mainboard's "shutdown temp" incase that isnt there or not working correctly.

**sorry i have habit of covering things even if some knew about it**

Back