• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

EVGA X58 Overclocking / BIOS Setup Help

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

TechtonicPC

Member, formerly Surfrat
Looking for some advice on where to start. Hoping a few others have experimented with this board already and can lend a helping hand.

I will be using 64 bit Vista, the 920 cpu, 6gb of ram, and a raid 0. The cpu is water cooled.

Here is my work log from the computer build itself, posted int he water cooling section of these forums:
http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=590001

Thanks in advance!

I found this, which seems to be a good place to start:

http://www.evga.com/forums/tm.asp?m=642527&mpage=1&key=

But if anyone has any experience let me know.

I've got the same setup that you want except I'm using air cooling. I've been screwing around a lot with this board for a week now, and I can attest that it KICKS ***.

If you need any help, shoot me a PM or post your question here. I'll be paying attention.

Good luck!

Well here are some updates on my project:

Currently running at 3.8ghz and have been running prime95 small FFTs for a little over 2 hours.

I am at 1.325 vcore.

3875primestableed7.jpg

SuperPI Score
superpi38vd2.jpg

I am still lowering voltages at the moment and tweeking settings, but so far so good.

My ram is at 1600 with 8-8-8-21 settings.

I have the same MB, CPU, PSU, and almost the same RAM as you. I'm at 4.1ghz with turbo. I'll explain to you all my settings, and maybe you will be able to duplicate them and since you are watercooled work your way up from there.

First off, what batch # is your chip?

1. Ok, go into BIOS and load defaults. F10 save and exit.

2. Back into BIOS, set your multiplier to 20x, set you bclk to 196, set your uncore to 16x.

3. Go into memory and set your specs.

4. Go into voltages, make it "without vdroop" at the top, set your vcore to 1.2625 (seems low but trust me), set VTT to +100, set dimm core to 1.6, set QPI PLL vcore to 1.20 (up from 1.10 default) and leave all other setting how they were.

5. Go into CPU features, leave everything how it is except the last setting. Make that setting 4.8GT/s.

6. Set your RAID

7. Set your fan speeds

8. Save profile

9. F10 save and reboot

10. run prime95

Last edited:
I have the same MB, CPU, PSU, and almost the same RAM as you. I'm at 4.1ghz with turbo. I'll explain to you all my settings, and maybe you will be able to duplicate them and since you are watercooled work your way up from there.

First off, what batch # is your chip?

1. Ok, go into BIOS and load defaults. F10 save and exit.

2. Back into BIOS, set your multiplier to 20x, set you bclk to 196, set your uncore to 16x.

3. Go into memory and set your specs.

4. Go into voltages, make it "without vdroop" at the top, set your vcore to 1.2625 (seems low but trust me), set VTT to +100, set dimm core to 1.6, set QPI PLL vcore to 1.20 (up from 1.10 default) and leave all other setting how they were.

5. Go into CPU features, leave everything how it is except the last setting. Make that setting 4.8GT/s.

6. Set your RAID

7. Set your fan speeds

8. Save profile

9. F10 save and reboot

10. run prime95

No way my chip will run at 1.2 vcore at 4ghz. To hit prime stable 4ghz it took 1.4vcore for me. that must be some chip u have there.

No way my chip will run at 1.2 vcore at 4ghz. To hit prime stable 4ghz it took 1.4vcore for me. that must be some chip u have there.

It isn't only about the vcore. I think people need to realize that. Did you at least try the exact settings I wrote or was I just exercising my fingers for nothing?

Okay, I am a noob at Overclocking. I just built this computer last week and am trying to learn how to overclock. I followed your steps "luv2increase". I couldn't get my computer to boot up at those settings. For the timings for the memory, do those have to be set manually or is that something that can be set on auto? Also, I was a little confused on setting RAID and Fan speeds. Can you elaborate further as to what should be changed. I am using the stock CPU fan that came with the chip (for now)
-ATI Radeon HD3650
-SAMSUNG Spinpoint F1 HD103UJ 1TB 7200 RPM SATA
-APEVIA Full Tower Computer Case 500W Power Supply
-Antec Twelve Hundred Case
-GSA-HL30 DVDRRW Lightscribe
-Monitor - 47" Toshiba HDTV

Last edited:
Okay, I am a noob at Overclocking. I just built this computer last week and am trying to learn how to overclock. I followed your steps "luv2increase". I couldn't get my computer to boot up at those settings. For the timings for the memory, do those have to be set manually or is that something that can be set on auto? Also, I was a little confused on setting RAID and Fan speeds. Can you elaborate further as to what should be changed. I am using the stock CPU fan that came with the chip (for now)
-ATI Radeon HD3650
-SAMSUNG Spinpoint F1 HD103UJ 1TB 7200 RPM SATA
-APEVIA Full Tower Computer Case 500W Power Supply
-Antec Twelve Hundred Case
-GSA-HL30 DVDRRW Lightscribe
-Monitor - 47" Toshiba HDTV

What is your chip batch #? You can find it on the retail box.

Set the memory timings manual to your manufacturer specs. "Just the timings", leave everything else in the memory area on "Auto". You will however change your memory voltage to 1.6 (if your memory runs at 1.65 at full specs). Also, I suggest getting an aftermarket cooler and to not even attempt this with the stock cooler.

My chip is great at overclocking (one of the newer i7 920 chips batch # 3841a), so you may need a lot higher vcore. This just makes it even more difficult to overclock because, to be honest, I couldn't even get it over 3.49Ghz with the stock cooler, and that is at like 1.2vcore!

Get an aftermarket cooler bro...

Good luck!

What is your chip batch #? You can find it on the retail box.

Set the memory timings manual to your manufacturer specs. "Just the timings", leave everything else in the memory area on "Auto". You will however change your memory voltage to 1.6 (if your memory runs at 1.65 at full specs). Also, I suggest getting an aftermarket cooler and to not even attempt this with the stock cooler.

My chip is great at overclocking (one of the newer i7 920 chips batch # 3841a), so you may need a lot higher vcore. This just makes it even more difficult to overclock because, to be honest, I couldn't even get it over 3.49Ghz with the stock cooler, and that is at like 1.2vcore!

Get an aftermarket cooler bro...

Good luck!

Any suggestions as to a good aftermarket cooler that fits that socket type? I'll also find out what batch number when I get back home. Thanks again for your help man!

i dont know if i should start a new thread but I just got this board, 3g of corsair dominator 1600, 750w ps, and i7 920. I wanted to if anyone had any ideas on how to overclock my memory so that the build reads 1600 for mem. Can I use the dummy oc and just change the mem settings?

i dont know if i should start a new thread but I just got this board, 3g of corsair dominator 1600, 750w ps, and i7 920. I wanted to if anyone had any ideas on how to overclock my memory so that the build reads 1600 for mem. Can I use the dummy oc and just change the mem settings?

It all depends on what number your QPI a.k.a. bclk and multipler are... List all your current values.

I've got the same setup that you want except I'm using air cooling. I've been screwing around a lot with this board for a week now, and I can attest that it KICKS ***.

If you need any help, shoot me a PM or post your question here. I'll be paying attention.

Good luck!

My setup is also simlar to yours:
ex58-ud5, i7 920, Ultra 120, 3x 2gb corsair 1600, gtx260 sli, corsair hx1000w ps, vista 64, no matter what settings I try I cant get to 2x200 ht on stable, can you email me your bios profile so I can try it on mine?

It all depends on what number your QPI a.k.a. bclk and multipler are... List all your current values.
Hey,

I upgraded my heatsink/fan to an A1 Thermaltake which fropped temps but I am still struggling to reach your speeds with stability. My batch number was 3839A579 on my processor. I could send you my bios info if you like but it is soooo much slower than yours that I have no idea how you got to it. Please help.

luv2increase seemed to have got a nice chip. You might have to use more Vcore to get the same stability. Try taking it at little steps, instead of going straight for 4Ghz. Try going for 3Ghz first of all (with stock voltages) to see if that is stable, then work your way up to 4Ghz with small voltage increases when it fails. That way you can get the best setting for your chip, as each cpu can vary.

Back