• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Counting down for Orange box

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I'm not able to download the HL2:E2 component for some reason. I have Portal and TF2 but not E2. Anyone know of a way to fix this? It's just telling me the servers are too busy.

Surely they are getting hammered today being release day... Took forever to decrypt my EP2 and Portal this morning.

yeah same thing happened back when ep1 came out. It took 6 hours to download (on a 5 meg connection) and then a couple of hours to "prepare".

Haven't tried portal yet. I'll have to when I get home. I played Episode 2 for a few minutes (right up to where Alyx encounters that tripod thingie at the beginning). Had to get to sleep for work today.

Episode 2 is awesome so far, I just hope it's a hell of a lot longer. Not gonna say where I'm at so I don't ruin it for anyone else :)

Been playing for a few hours but haven't got all that far due to constant crashing and stuttering ... It says my drivers are out of date (which there not seeing as I updated them specifically before playing) and i've checked none of my gear is overheating ... Keeps saying engine/driver failure and that it can't load various shaders and other bits n bobs ...

What i've played of Ep2 tho has been dam awesome ..

around 1999/2000 I was usually either playing Half Life or TF online, loved them both. If I wanted to work as a team and collect flags it was TFC, go on a rampage with a MP-5 and rocket launcher, regular Half Life. For me they were some of the best online FPS ever in the non realistic R6 style category. I really liked the feel to Half Life more then the others like Quake and Unreal.

So how does TF2 compare, whole new thing or does it seem familiar? Also does Half Life 2 have its own online play like the original Half Life? If so how is it?

Orange box is fail. I want the black box. I already HAVE HL2 and HL2:E1. I don't want to buy them again, even if I can give them to a friend. I don't have any friends that don't already have the damn game.

Can someone explain what the deal with orange/black boxes is please? I haven't seen what is available because I just entered my voucher code and got what I was entitled to.

Orange box is fail. I want the black box. I already HAVE HL2 and HL2:E1. I don't want to buy them again, even if I can give them to a friend. I don't have any friends that don't already have the damn game.

"Is fail"...sigh.

According to the Steam store:

EP2 = $29.95
Portal = $19.95
TF2 = $29.95
Total = 79.85

Yeah you should have totally bought them separately so you wouldn't have to deal with those extra copies to give away and the extra $30 in your pocket. :rolleyes:

I don't know why people complain more about Valve's bundles than any other company on the planet. I would have gladly payed $50 for TF2 alone. You need to recognize great games when you see them.

I'm not sure what the deal is with the Black box, Oragne box is HL2, Episode1, Episode2, Portal and Team Fortress 2. Black box may be the same thing but is bundled with ATi Gfx cards? :confused:

Here is the deal with the black box. It's been cancelled completely. The only people who will get it are those who bought an ATI X2900 and have the coupon.

Apparently retail stores didn't want to have to sell two different boxes. So The black box was cancelled for retail shelves but was still to be on steam. Then the idea was made to keep the price of the Orange box at $50. This is because most games for the PC start at this price. Because of this the Black box was cancelled.

The Black Box would have to be priced at $30-$40 and I'm pretty sure you can see any company wouldn't want to give away new games at that price.

What most people where thinking originally when the black and orange box was announced that the black box would be $45-50 and the Orange $60 or up. So really if you look at it, Valve is selling you the Black Box for $50. And they are giving you two free games, also. They know that majority of those waiting for EP2/TF2/Portal already own HL2, and EP1. So with the friend vouchers, your allowed to give away those games, to friends who don't own it and haven't played it. You can see where this is going. Some of those people who got HL2/HL2:EP1 from their friends, will want to pay again to get EP2, so they will by the Orange Box and thus the cycle continues.

IF you go read the steam forums its where I got my info from. Back when you Could preload the Orange Box, there was a lot of discussion about where the Black box went.

Whatever, Orange Box at Circuit City 37.99. Thats low enough that I don't mind repurchasing HL2....

Too bad I need to reinstall steam for some reason so I've installed it yet....

Whatever, Orange Box at Circuit City 37.99. Thats low enough that I don't mind repurchasing HL2....

Too bad I need to reinstall steam for some reason so I've installed it yet....

No one has it around me. No stores I mean, and I get errors trying to purchase it via steam. I've never had an issue before buying stuff with Steam..

"Is fail"...sigh.

According to the Steam store:

EP2 = $29.95
Portal = $19.95
TF2 = $29.95
Total = 79.85

Yeah you should have totally bought them separately so you wouldn't have to deal with those extra copies to give away and the extra $30 in your pocket. :rolleyes:

I don't know why people complain more about Valve's bundles than any other company on the planet. I would have gladly payed $50 for TF2 alone. You need to recognize great games when you see them.

Next time, please read my posts before going off on me. Note that I said I don't know anybody who doesn't already have HL2. I'd rather just get the games I want at a discount, like they were originally doing w/ the Black Box.

They'll pro'lly bring the Black Box deal back at some point in the future, anyways. 'least then I won't have to re-buy games that I've already purchased.

the will be NO black box, watch the interviews with gabe. its all about the money, sotre dont want to carry two "box" items, so gabe says if they are only going to have one, they are only going to have orange box.

Next time, please read my posts before going off on me.

Sorry, I didn't mean to go off. :)

I just happen to think that the Orange Box is an INCREDIBLE value for the $45 I paid, even if I already owned 2 of the games.

You have to agree, compared to other games/packages, you really are getting a lot for your money, no?

Back