• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Favorite Addons for Linux

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
grsync should go under network addons - its used for synchronizing files remotely. :thup:

Moved it on over. Though this does open up a though for a new category though. I recently changed my RAID setup in my main rig to include R0 which I am backing up a R1 portion. Are there any good addons for backing up info for Linux?

3 separate things covered there:

1. Replication - rsync
2. Redundancy - raid
3. Backups

3 things, all data security, all separate ideas/approaches serving unique purposes compared to eachother.

I think I'll narrow it down to strictly backups to keep it simple. :p Not as worried about the RAID part since my laptop is the only system that I have running Ubuntu... for now.

Oh, talking of backups - I did not see rsnapshot mentioned here. It uses rsync to backup locally or remotely and works pretty well by my experience.

I dunno about Deluge... I liked it, however it had the nasty tendency of crashing my dd-wrt router (D-link DIR 615).

It looked to be something in Deluge's network connection code; the crashing only happened when Deluge really got going with downloading something.

I switched to using Transmission. Web interface, directory monitoring, and all that jazz. Not as pretty as Deluge, but it gets the job done.

SabNZBd for binary newsgroups ;)

Jorick, that's a configuration problem - either settings you made or default settings. Too many connections filling up the cache table or something in dd-wrt. A lot of routers choke and need reboots for similar reasons, but different apps come with different default connection limits.

I forgot about newsgroups... I had a cli nzb tool which I loved, just put the nzb in the directory and it automatically grabs what you need.

Jorick, that's a configuration problem - either settings you made or default settings. Too many connections filling up the cache table or something in dd-wrt. A lot of routers choke and need reboots for similar reasons, but different apps come with different default connection limits.

Yup, I had it working at one point; I had to made config changes in both dd-wrt and in Deluge. Then mythbuntu 10.04 came out and I said "Yeah, time for a system cleanup", wiped /, and re-installed. That's when the problems started happening again, and since I never saved the config changes I made to deluge... oops.

That said, Transmission worked out of the box, with no tweaking necessary ;)

I forgot about newsgroups... I had a cli nzb tool which I loved, just put the nzb in the directory and it automatically grabs what you need.

SabNZBd can watch a directory for nzb files; it can monitor rss feeds as well.. I think HellaNZB can do directory watching, but I'm not sure about rss feeds... There are probably some others that have directory monitoring as well.

I prefer Sab to Hella due to Sab's web interface that Just Works (yeah.. on linux.. it just works. Go figure. :))... Hellanzb has a bolt-on web interface or two, but they always gave me some frustration. Sab worked out of the box. I don't like command-line utilites running in a screen session or something because I'm not always at a machine that has a ssh client.

Good call! Hellanzb was the one I was happy with, although I never found any use for other interfaces. It ran as a background daemon and with binsearch.info I was set.

Haven't used it in quite some time, but I'll need to check out sab now that you mentioned it! :thup:

sorry for not posting in this thread for a bit. Ihave been AFK with life. God forbid that be taking up my time. Thanks for the info about Deluge. I haven't had the time to sink my teeth into it yet but I will be looking to in the next few days as Internet will be up and running at my house. I has fiber optic! WOO :bday:

Add NCDU (NCurses Disk Usage) to this list. I was shown this awhile back and I'm not sure how I used a command line in the past. I mainly use this on my file server, which does not run a frontend (gnome, KDE) and doesn't even have Xorg installed. It is an actual program that runs (unlike ll or ls that runs and exits) which allows you to "browse" folders and files.

http://dev.yorhel.nl/ncdu

ncdu_example.png

sorry for not posting in this thread for a bit. Ihave been AFK with life. God forbid that be taking up my time. Thanks for the info about Deluge. I haven't had the time to sink my teeth into it yet but I will be looking to in the next few days as Internet will be up and running at my house. I has fiber optic! WOO :bday:

I tried Deluge, and found it horribly inefficient network-wise, and it didn't like to save my settings when I tried to fix that, either. It crashed a lot, and it seemed to lack many options that I'm used to having available in Azureus/Vuze. Vuze has never given me any performance issues on Windows or Linux. Can I have your fiber? :p

I tried Deluge, and found it horribly inefficient network-wise, and it didn't like to save my settings when I tried to fix that, either. It crashed a lot, and it seemed to lack many options that I'm used to having available in Azureus/Vuze. Vuze has never given me any performance issues on Windows or Linux. Can I have your fiber? :p

You amy as soon as I get it installed. :argue: I have been waiting a week for the installer to call me. I have already run the cable under the house so all I need now is the outside connection and the inside... If I had some 26 guage wire strippers that would be done by now also. :rain:

WOOT I can haz the fiber?!??!! Ok, so now that I officially have the internet again. Feel free to start adding more suggestions. :D I will continue editing the list above.

Add NCDU (NCurses Disk Usage) to this list. I was shown this awhile back and I'm not sure how I used a command line in the past. I mainly use this on my file server, which does not run a frontend (gnome, KDE) and doesn't even have Xorg installed. It is an actual program that runs (unlike ll or ls that runs and exits) which allows you to "browse" folders and files.

http://dev.yorhel.nl/ncdu

Thid I added it to the list finally. :D

Media Realted Addons

I am on a misson again. I am now looking for an addon or addons that will allow me to share media (pictures, movies, and music) to my laptop from my desktop. My desktop is running Win7 and the laptop is running Ubuntu. I have worked out the file sharing it seems but all that I have access to is the Public folder. I made sure that the folders that I want to share were enabled for sharing but when I try to access it from my laptop it says, "Unable to mount location Failed to mount Windows share".

All that being said I am looking for addons that will ease the process of sharing files and media from windows to linux and linux to linux based machines. Any suggestions?

EDIT: Now I remember what is was that I was thinking. Also any media browsing addons are welcome as well. I am not really looking for a full OS base but I see where that could come in handy is anyone wants to mention them. :D

Code:
sudo apt-get install samba samba-client
You can connect to Windows shares.

I ran that command via the terminal and tested it and it returned an ID10T error.:eh?: It is still giving me the same message.:temper:

Here is some info that might be missing. The partition that all of my media is stored on is not part of the windows file system. I have the whole R0+1 thing going on. It is allowing me to view the files that windows created for media, Just not the ones that I created on a separate partition.:sn:

Thanks for the post Thid! Oh wait don't we have a button for that? :eek::p

You should create a new thread so we don't clutter this one anymore.

Samba

Added Samba to the list of addons. I am not sure if it is a standard in most distros but I had to download it if I remember correctly.

Back