• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

XFX does not honor warranty

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

shadowdr

I bought a 7600GT XXX in January 07. Good card for the 150 price delivered, registered with XFX, really just to keep a check on bios updates. Well there never were any, so I forgot about the website until last month when my card started acting up. Could no longer play BF with high settings, screen corrupted into weird colors and had big spots that just blacked out. Last week the fan died, had probably been going out for a while but I had no way to know for sure.I could no longer even use the computer so I removed and replaced the heat sink and fan. I would not normally do this but I needed to contact XFX. go to their website and I can log in but it does not show my card anymore but it does show an XFX rumble headset that is not mine. So I start a ticket with them,

[ 2/2/2009 6:50:26 PM] I registered my video card when I purchased it, it is going bad. You only show my products as a ga-ch01-so 100ng, which I don`t have. I have a 7600gt sn# hwh xxxxxx

[BRIAN 2/2/2009 7:05:24 PM] Hi jeff, thanks for the message. Please email a copy of the receipt to:[email protected] with the ticket number as the subject. We will need to verify that the card is still under warranty. What is going on with the 7600GT? Keep us posted. Thanks, Brian.

[BRIAN 2/2/2009 10:16:24 PM] Hi Jeff, I got the email and unfortunately, it looks like the card is out of warranty. The product you registered was registered on 9/6/08 which is over the initial 30 days of purchase. You would have a 2 year warranty on the card that would have ended on 1/18/09. We will not be able to warranty the card at this time. Thanks, Brian.

[ 2/2/2009 11:08:34 PM] So much for the Lifetime warranty located on this page http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...?Sku=P450-7870. This is not a vibration headset and it most certainly was registered within the first 30 days.
I am not sure what is with the timestamps but this was all done within one hour, before 5.00 pm.

In the Email that I sent, I attached the invoice from Tiger direct and explained that I had replaced the heatsink in order to use the card, but this did not seem important to them. I went and found the original box and sure enough the part and serial number had been written on the box by me, why? Only reason for this is to register the card, which I remember doing anyway.It is probably a glitch in their system but I don't care.

I actually found the problem on their website, just to see what happened I went back and tried to re-register the card. Again it added another rumble headset to my list of products. Only reason I can see for this is that they deleted the product number from their database along with my original registration.

Be aware that if you pay more for a card because of the warranty, it may not be honored. Be very wary of dealing with them, I have certainly bought my last XFX product. I ordered another cheap card from NewEgg and am done with XFX.

No they havent, the first two responses were only a few minutes apart. I guess I am on their ignore list now. I did add another response that I would be posting this here.

Thanks for the heads up. I always assume warranty means nothing when deciding on a purchase. A gigabyte graphics card (AGP) died years ago when a resistor burnt out. The warranty was void due to supposed "power surge damage". Nothing else in the PC was damaged, but the warranty was void. Pile o' poop.

Since then I normally dont even bother returning the product if broken...

eVGA is the only company I have found that will fix dead cards. Almost all other companies will try to get out of RMAs at all costs.

XFX seems to be going downhill as of late.. Keeping this in mind for future purchases for sure.

Not really a fair statement.

Just because a few people on the forums have had problems doesnt mean much. Also, more times than not, its the complainers fault partially or more that was the problem.

Not really a fair statement.

Just because a few people on the forums have had problems doesnt mean much. Also, more times than not, its the complainers fault partially or more that was the problem.
Really, that is also not a fair statement. I did nothing to the card, it just started messing up. I had no way to monitor the fan speed nor should I have had to. "Lifetime Warranty" means just that and saying it was not registered is just an excuse and a lie. You did notice that he said that because of that it was under warranty untill january 18th, Two weeks ago.:argue:

No I have not called them and probably will not but will keep you updated if they ever reply. Funny I got almost instant responses yesterday and now nothing.

Really, that is also not a fair statement. I did nothing to the card, it just started messing up. I had no way to monitor the fan speed nor should I have had to. "Lifetime Warranty" means just that and saying it was not registered is just an excuse and a lie. You did notice that he said that because of that it was under warranty untill january 18th, Two weeks ago.:argue:

No I have not called them and probably will not but will keep you updated if they ever reply. Funny I got almost instant responses yesterday and now nothing.

This is one of the problems i have with people posting these grievances in the vendor section.. They dont even CALL to talk to a person before complaining.. That IMO is not TRYING hard though to get your problem solved..

This is one of the problems i have with people posting these grievances in the vendor section.. They dont even CALL to talk to a person before complaining.. That IMO is not TRYING hard though to get your problem solved..
And why should I call? I really don't think that I could be civil over the phone after what has happened. Either they are researching the problem or they are ignoring it. I will be patient and await further response, I have no obligation to do more.

the reason you should call is that the internet tech-support system is automated. unless you meet a specific set of criteria that says "send notice to internal customer support to look over this", then the auto-system is gonna keep puking on you because you are caught in it's loop of "If x, y, z, then deny" The humans can bypass the system thanks to magical powers known as 'supervisor override'.

the emails he got back werent automated though.

I personally have never had to deal with xfx, but i have with both eVGA and BFG.

both times, both eVGA and BFG bent-over backwords for me. for that, they will have my business forever.

the emails he got back werent automated though.

I personally have never had to deal with xfx, but i have with both eVGA and BFG.

both times, both eVGA and BFG bent-over backwords for me. for that, they will have my business forever.
That is correct, it was a person. I may call at a later date but I believe that their intent is much like an insurance claim, deny, deny and hope they go away. I do not see the difference in talking to someone and communicating through a support ticket as that is why they set it up that way.

All I want is what was agreed to at the time of purchase.

Following your opinion that I shold call them, I did. Guess what? After two calls where I was put on hold for over fifteen minutes and then sent to voice mail, my call was answered after only forty minutes and by guess who, Brian. After giving him my ticket number and him reviewing it for several minutes I was told that the manager was in a meeting but he would forward it to him when he could and they would get back to me, again by support ticket. I can hardly wait.

Last edited:
the reason you should call is that the internet tech-support system is automated. unless you meet a specific set of criteria that says "send notice to internal customer support to look over this", then the auto-system is gonna keep puking on you because you are caught in it's loop of "If x, y, z, then deny" The humans can bypass the system thanks to magical powers known as 'supervisor override'.

XFX's ticket system IS NOT an automated response system, the only thing automated is reciving notification that a ticket has been submitted.

i doubt the automated reponse knows how to say "sorry we forgot our" lame *** "propriotary power connector for the RMA card we sent you" when i RMAed my 7900GT and got a friggin 8600GT back.

i can only say good luck with them, i thought my deal wasnt fair but yours is pretty freakin bad.

I don't know some things seem weird out of this. I've actually gone through the XFX warranty procedures to get a new HSF for my 8800GT back when I had one. When creating a new ticket to contact them the item is listed on the registered products, and beside it has an option to create a ticket for that specific item. If it was listed as a vibration headset, and you told them it was a 7600GT wouldn't there be some confusion? Why would they offer you help on the 7600GT when the headset is listed?

Also, You said you registered it within the 30 days, and then since there were no bios updates you forgot about the site until a month ago. But XFX says that the item was registered on...

[BRIAN 2/2/2009 10:16:24 PM] Hi Jeff, I got the email and unfortunately, it looks like the card is out of warranty. The product you registered was registered on 9/6/08 which is over the initial 30 days of purchase. You would have a 2 year warranty on the card that would have ended on 1/18/09. We will not be able to warranty the card at this time. Thanks, Brian.

That's a year and a half passed the purchase date. So something isn't adding up. If you registered past the 30 days then you pretty much screwed yourself. If you didn't, then I don't see how the card was supposedly registered on 9/6/08 when you said you never visited the site again until last month?

And no XFX's online ticket system isn't automated.

XFX is a ***** when it comes to warranties. Lifetime means 'oops, it is out of warranty', to them.

They are cheap, anyway, so I wouldn't buy one. EVGA, Gigabyte, or BFG are the only ones I'd recommend.

I don't know some things seem weird out of this. I've actually gone through the XFX warranty procedures to get a new HSF for my 8800GT back when I had one. When creating a new ticket to contact them the item is listed on the registered products, and beside it has an option to create a ticket for that specific item. If it was listed as a vibration headset, and you told them it was a 7600GT wouldn't there be some confusion? Why would they offer you help on the 7600GT when the headset is listed?

Also, You said you registered it within the 30 days, and then since there were no bios updates you forgot about the site until a month ago. But XFX says that the item was registered on...

That's a year and a half passed the purchase date. So something isn't adding up. If you registered past the 30 days then you pretty much screwed yourself. If you didn't, then I don't see how the card was supposedly registered on 9/6/08 when you said you never visited the site again until last month?

And no XFX's online ticket system isn't automated.
My product was deleted because the gaming headset now uses the same product number. The headset was added the last time I signed into the account because I was checking my product number for any bios updates that might be available. I noticed then that I could sign in but had no item available to check so by entering my product number it adds a headset.

Like I said before, I dug the original box out of the closet and written by hand on the box was my product number and serial. Why, because I could not register without them and when it is in the computer they cannot be seen. I rember doing it anyway and checking off and on for several months for bios updates when the card was listed.

I bought the card and still have a reciept, nothing else should even matter. I cannot help that they deleted the model number and reused it for another product.

Back