• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Can I overclock a 1Ghz P3?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

thecomputerdude

Registered
I was wondering if it would be possible to overclock an Intel 1.0Ghz Pentium 3. It is in a Dell Dimension XPS B1000r that is 5 years old, and I'm looking for a little bit more speed. Already got a good graphics card, 80GB hard drive space, CD+/-RW, CD-ROM, and plenty of leftover power.
I know its an old computer, but I use it to play games that would like a little more oomph behind them.

A 1GHz P3 might hit about 1.15GHz at most I would think. Your only option is to increase the FSB (or bus speed, as it is sometimes known). Do you have such an option in your BIOS?

Drat Dell, why can't they sell an overclockable system? I guess they wouldn't put a warranty on it though... :bang head

Are AlienWare computers overclockable?

There's actually a dell pc coming out or already came out that gives you a VERY limited overclocking ability. I'm pretty sure you got the option of like two higher set proc speeds. I think i read it in the front page discussion form some time ago.

thecomputerdude said:

Not anymore...they use a closed BIOS with all of their systems now...

THey got tired of RMAing complete systems because people would jump in without doing some researching on OCing and the how to's and then they would wipe out the system and RMA it...when in most cases all it took was a clear of the CMOS to fix the issue...but most people that jump in head first and would rather RMA the system or have AW spend the hundereds of dollars to send a tech out to just move a jumper over...

I seen this comming when they first relased a OPEN bios on alienware and knew it would end up costing them more money in the long run...which it did and why they moved to a closed BIOS...

And if Dell did release a limited OCing system...wont be long before they go back to closed BIOS's again...

thecomputerdude said:
Drat Dell, why can't they sell an overclockable system? I guess they wouldn't put a warranty on it though... :bang head

Actually... the Dell Dimension XPS Gen5 (ETA 4/20/05) will be overclockable... :p

thecomputerdude said:
I was wondering if it would be possible to overclock an Intel 1.0Ghz Pentium 3. It is in a Dell Dimension XPS B1000r that is 5 years old, and I'm looking for a little bit more speed. Already got a good graphics card, 80GB hard drive space, CD+/-RW, CD-ROM, and plenty of leftover power.
I know its an old computer, but I use it to play games that would like a little more oomph behind them.
im sure theres a reason that it hasn't been posted yet but is softfsb not an option for this case?

SoftFSB may or may not work, depending on the mobo used like I said earlier. Some people have gotten software overclocking to work on some Dell systems. I didn't mention it in this thread because I had already mentioned it in his other thread. Unless you can bump up the voltage (which you can't on a Dell) and use better cooling, you won't get that much out of a 1 gig P-III anyway.

Last edited:
Yeah, the Coppermine Overclocking really shined in it's FCPGA 650 days. I have two that will do 1000~ on air. Love them. My 1000 doesn't even like doing 1100 at times.

Back