• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Buying DDR400 - Samsung or KingMax?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

RideGuy

Looking at either Samsung or KingMax DDR400 for running in dual channel on a Springdale chipset. They are both cheap and readily available. I won't be overclocking this box, stability is a must. I own 2 sticks of KingMax, and so far they've been great, but I haven't run them at 200mhz(400DDR) yet.

Has anyone had any experience (or know someone) running either of these in dual channel at 200mhz(400DDR)? Any problems?

Thanks in advance,
Ride

maximum PC reccomends Coarsair Micro but i dont have any real experiences-just a suggestion.

I'm not sure that Coarsair Micro is available at any stores near me. I will take a look. Thanks for the sugestion.

Ride

I've been using the samsung in my sig for 10 days now and it's working fine. The shop I bought it from had it running stable in a new Epox 8rda3+ at 220 FSB. After I do the VDD volt mod on mine board I'll see how far I can push it.

My timings are relaxed right now at 7-3-3 2.5

01_VTEC SE said:
my kingmax ddr 400 sucks big time...... can't get it stable past 180.

Sickofthelies
I have bad experience with Kingmaxm ,my ddr333 doesnt run past 280mhz...

When did you guys buy your KingMax? I've noticed that the new chips are different then the old ones, they are red in color now. I have KingMax 400DDR. With my 2.4B@3Ghz I can run these sticks at 207.5Mhz(415DDR) at CL2.5 and 333DDR at 2CL. I am actually very happy with this memory so far, but I have heard allot of people say the opposite. It sounds like my best bet is to go for the Samsung.

Thanks for your help guys,
Ride

Had a piece of KingMax DDR400that wouldn't run much faster than about DDR285. Threw 2.8v at it and got like DDR300, which wasn't much better. Returned it to NewEgg, got another piece which is the one you see below (maxxes at 422). I think it's "cheap" ram in every sense of the word, but it's not necessarily bad. I'm actually kicking around the idea to purchase another 512mb stick of it...

if i wanted ultra stability without sacrificing features i'd pick up an intel d865perl motherboard with crucial pc3200

astroglide said:
if i wanted ultra stability without sacrificing features i'd pick up an intel d865perl motherboard with crucial pc3200

Thanks for the advise, but I'm really looking for a discount machine. This will be strickly a business machine, and will not be used for gaming or OCing. I'm trying to get the most for the least.

AOpen H340 Slim Desktop
P4P800-VM 865G mATX w/ VGA, Audio, Lan, SATA
P4 2.4C
2x256meg Samsung DDR
30gig 7200rpm Maxtor DMP 8

uh...

the d865perl is an intel brand motherboard, so it has next to no overclocking options. it also has firewire and the best onboard sound available, csa bus gigabit ethernet, and costs $109 shipped. it is well worth the FOUR DOLLAR DIFFERENCE between it and the p4p800-vm to get all those features AND the intel name - you'll still need to cough up a couple bucks for cheapo video, but you're getting a LOT more.

if you don't want crucial memory you can go as cheap as you want, but you specifically mentioned stability. it really doesn't get any more standard/supported/stable than intel board, intel cpu, and crucial memory.

I understand what your saying. To the power user the d865perl would be the better choice along with better memory. This needs to be a stable DISCOUNT comp. Asus has a good rep, as well as Samsung, and you can't beat the price.

Ride

I have been using Samsung chips for the last 5 months in dual mode. Mine are fine, and i ran memtest on them for a day and a half, i never did get an error....

Back