• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Intel Ships First Dual-Core

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Stratcat said:
Hehe -

Looks like we unknowingly posted the same subj & article concurrently! :shrug:

Oh, well, great minds...etc...etc. :D

Strat

LOL didn't notice that thread doh :bang head

Last edited:
Stratcat said:
Threat? THREAT?? THREAT???

Hey man, let's not take it too seriously! :D :D :D ;)

Strat

/me thinks early morning posting is a riot

LOL, early morning its like 10:30am, its really not early morning. Mmmm lunch sounds good.

*Drives up to window* I'll take a Presler and Cedar Mill to go please. Oh and I'd like some AS5 ontop of that.

theMonster said:
I'm glad I read this, else I would've needlessly wasted $750 on an EE, when a non-EE is better!!!

Yes i found that quiet intresting in the review of it. But I wouldn't hold it to 1 review, I'd see others before I judge it.

Yes, Tom's hardware just said that the multis are locked on the non EE CPUs and when doing MultiMedia stuff, which is what I do most, the EEs kicked everything else to the curb.

The p5 is the Pentium-D proc. They aren't going to add more numbers onto the end of the pentuim chips, so i've read.

It will be interesting to see how it goes. I am still waiting a little while. I can wait for the 65nm chips I think. No reason to spend $1000 for a chip that will be $450 in a year, IMO.

theMonster said:
Yes, Tom's hardware just said that the multis are locked on the non EE CPUs and when doing MultiMedia stuff, which is what I do most, the EEs kicked everything else to the curb.
I think I saw the same article (or some article ) on the 'D' being multi locked, & the EE being fully unlocked. Although since the 'D' uses EIST, I'd suppose a mobo manufacturer might be able to offer a BIOS w/a hack for the it to multi.

My understanding is the EE only comes in the 840 version, & has the same 800 MHz FSB & 1MB L2 cache per core as the 'D' version. Someone pls correct me if I'm wrong. :shrug:

I think w/multicore, Hyperthreading will become less of an issue. But for an OCer, an unlocked multi is a VIP issue, IMO. Such a shame we'll be payin' thru the nose, if we want to get an Intel 'original spec' unlocked multi!

The prelim pricing I've heard for the 840EE is around a grand - Thats one-thousand-Georgies - Nearly twice that of the comparatively clocked 840 'D' Smithy. :eek:

And the only differences is what? HT & unlocked multi??? - They're tryin' to take us to the cleaners... :mad:

The 2.8 or 3.0 'D's, @ 241 & 316 U$D per 1K wholesale lots, respectively, will be the ones to get, IMO. Pretty awesome pricing, actually, when you think about it! Maybe also the 840D @ 530 U$D, if going for the absolute highest possible OC chances.

But the 840EE seems like highly diminished, (if any) returns, for the money, IMO, though it will probably sell to those who want, or 'think' they want/need the very best, and can afford it, or maybe a commercial MM/Workstation environment.

JMO's

Strat

Normally, I like to be the first to jump on the new technology, but I can't be a pioneer this time. After recently buying a new car, I better hold off getting a new computer.

if these get in stores fast, I may be that pioneer. But the cooling really scares me. The fact that ocing these, really needs water.

I just wish people never shelled out 1G for a proc so that intel would stop trying to exploit the "i have the best haha" crowd. I'm not trying to insult anyone who always has the best and spends large sums of money on these things, i guess if i had the spare money then i might too. But i dont so i cant and i feel neglected :(

Back