• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Recommendation: Watch Le Mans 24h this weekend

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

RoXQi3x

Like your grandfahers old records, I will once again recommend this weekends Le Mans 24h endurance car race. Yes, I know there some football stuff going on, and yes, I know there are other car races as well, but:
Here's my top 5 reasons Le Mans is best for folders/overclockers:

-this is about endurance - not world records on keeping a certain speed for 10 minutes (as indeed some other parts of CPU/GPU/RAM overclocking is about). As many laps (or WUs) as possible:)

-all the cars are heavily modded or prototypes, testet for max durability. Just like an overclocker/folder rig.

-the drivers are important, but the full team with engineers/maintenance are the real winners.

-driving cars at these (clock)speeds is not without danger - don't you have any parts taken out of service due to accidents lying around?

-it's 24 hrs, live. Just like those rigs that are running 100% 24/7

Give it a try! I myself will watch it on an HD sports channel, but there are streams available online. As a non-driver, never-owned-a-car I found it strangely intriguing - I watched the qualificing races earlier tonight and remembered it all!

jis8.jpg

There is a certain fame to win this once a year, 100+ years history thing, probably some cash as well, but no rigs i think :) Of course, the real money come from car manufacturers who will use results in upcoming ads with "technology that won the Le Mans Challenge" even if the tech is far in the future.
The marketing value is presumably why you have professional overclocking teams and events like the recent World Record Stage, althought I compare that to drag racing in "stability".
As far as I know, there's no computing competition comparable to even F1 or IndyCar yet, but if one was to build an endurance thing Le Mans is the model to go, I think - and folding presents a "real world" setting that highlights the hardware and engineers :)

I absolutely recommend watching this also!

My roommate and I were planning to stay up and watch the full 24hr, but we're both going to be out of town to see our dads now.

Much better race than the 24h of Daytona typically. Faster cars for one thing, more interesting track for another.

Actually watching the whole thing is quite the endeavor.
I managed to watch all 18 televised hours of the 24h of daytona some years back.

My folding history is more along the lines of the 24 Hours of LeMons, a different racing series entirely (but one WELL worth checking out).

Much better race than the 24h of Daytona typically. Faster cars for one thing, more interesting track for another.

Actually watching the whole thing is quite the endeavor.
I managed to watch all 18 televised hours of the 24h of daytona some years back.

My folding history is more along the lines of the 24 Hours of LeMons, a different racing series entirely (but one WELL worth checking out).

Much, much better than the 24hr of Daytona.
Circuit de la Sarthe is a far more demanding track than the Daytona road course.

I watched ~16hr of the 79th (2011) 24hr of Le Mans, where Leena became the first female race engineer to succeed in winning.
Seeing these guys run for 24 hours to finish a mere 13.8s apart was AMAZING.

LeMons is HILARIOUS! They race in Charlotte semi-frequently.

I'll be watching it when ever i can. Wanted to watch some of the practice but the firewall at work blocks daily motion and that's what they are using for the official online streaming :/

That's a really good analogy, RoX. Good mind you have. :) The Baja 1000 is another appropriate analogy.

Back