• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Core 2 Quad Q9550 $169.99 For those still on S775

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
is it worth it to upgrade from a E8400 ? I mostly play games...

It really won't help in games unless you play a game that utilizes 4 cores. I played a bunch of games on my E8400 and my friends with a QX9650. Using the same video card there was no real difference. I got a few fps more at times with the E8400 because I have it clocked higher. I was thinking I'd get one of these and sell my E8400. I'd have about the same performance in games, but with the added benefits of the quad for not a whole lot of money.

hmm, ok, well I will just wait then, games are really slacking in multi-core support. my system is going on 2 years old soon, its strange to not have anything to upgrade to that will make a huge difference. (like when I went from a AMD Opteron 170 , to a CD2 e8400)

Last edited:
Too bad I'm running an Abit IP 35 pro else I would get that cpu.

I'm running that CPU on a IP 35 pro @ 3.9ghz no problem. You will need to update the BIOS for compatability IIRC, but otherwise it should work.

We should make it a rule on here that every deal involving Microcenter or Frys needs to state that in the thread title..... :\

How is this Q9550 compared to 920 i7, overclocking wise ? (Been away for a while...)

I grabbed one yesterday, started playing with it today.

I got a vid of 1.3v :(
I am having a little trouble with the FSB now that its over 450, but I expected that since I'm using a P35 board.

Both will hit 4Ghz. The Q9550 needs the right mobo to do it though. Also the i7 is faster clock for clock anyway.

Back