• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New Precott 2.8A DO VCore only 0.956V-1.052V

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Seems a little low. Could just be for very leaky chips, but then Icc would be as much as 90A -- that stretches 78A FMB 1.0 limit by a bit. I'd give 50/50 odds on that being a mistake.

Man if those new steppings really run at 1 volt, and can handle the voltage that the current steppings handle (~1.5V) then that would be pretty sweet running 50% extra vcore,, relatively safely.

NookieN said:
Seems a little low. Could just be for very leaky chips, but then Icc would be as much as 90A -- that stretches 78A FMB 1.0 limit by a bit. I'd give 50/50 odds on that being a mistake.

Hmmm, I don't know. Intel has been freakin' over the Prs-hotts and so has everyone else. cutting down the voltage requirement would seem like one of the logical steps in solving the heat problem. Also, the future of Intel desktop procs has been given over to mobile chip archetecture, this could be some of the first baby steps toward that reality.

is there an explanation how they can cut the vcore by that much? did they change the chip physically?

krag said:
Hmmm, I don't know. Intel has been freakin' over the Prs-hotts and so has everyone else. cutting down the voltage requirement would seem like one of the logical steps in solving the heat problem. Also, the future of Intel desktop procs has been given over to mobile chip archetecture, this could be some of the first baby steps toward that reality.

But if that were the case, they would have also cut the TDP. Power for this sspec is the same as the C0 (89W). If the voltage for this chip really is 1V, that probably means it was too leaky to be sold as a faster chip with a higher voltage and still fit within the thermal design.

I actually just bought three of the 2.80As (for $80 each :D ) but all three are the older SL7D8 stepping. I'm definitely planning on keeping my eyes open for them in the Dells I get in here... I'll snatch some up if I get any.

Flakk said:
where do u find them for that cheap lol :O

I upgraded several Precision workstations with 3.2Cs from Newegg, since it saves our company quite a bit of money to do it that way instead of buying the 3.2 from Dell. The 2.8A is the base CPU, so my boss let them go for $80 each, and I bought all three that were available. The other two are going to a couple of friends. I hope to get more in this manner. ;)

Low voltage YES! But have you noticed the bus speed!!

Bus speed = 533 Mhz

Also look at the temps, 69.1c at 1.052volts, how hot do you think that baby will get at 1.3-1.5volts??

Last edited:
That can't be right. You just don't cancel most development on your flagship cpu then comeout technological leap that big. Plus we would probably see a huge speed bump possibly close to 4ghz if prescotts could run at that low of voltage.

brint said:
Also look at the temps, 69.1c at 1.052volts, how hot do you think that baby will get at 1.3-1.5volts??

It doesn't mean that it will run at 69C with 1.052 volts. It means that the processor can run at 69C without any problems at default speeds, and without the thermal throttling or shutoff kicking in.

AudiMan said:
Someone e-mail Intel and ask if it's true.

I just did.

Hello, my name is René. I have a question for you. I have been looking around your web site and found the specifications on the new P4 Prescott 2.8A.
http://processorfinder.intel.com/sc...Fam=483&PkgType=ALL&SysBusSpd=ALL&CorSpd=6595

Why is it that this CPU only has a bus speed at 533 MHz? when the Prescott available now has a bus speed at 800mhz.
Also can the temperatures be true? At 1.052Vcore can the CPU generate 69.1c? Seems like a lot of heat.

Back