• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Cricket Tethering - Windows Phones

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Xtreme Barton

Instructions for Windows 8.1 and Windows Phone 8.0 and 8.1 .. Windows 7 will work too but I wrote these off Windows 8.1 (PC not Phone :D )

Download TetherX from store. (on phone)
Download and put both batch files into a new folder ( you can also place in any folder you choose.
Rename Batch Files with ".bat" ending. EX: Start Tether.txt is renamed to Start Tether.bat
Right Click and choose edit on "Start Tether.bat"
Replace "Your Network Name" with a network name of your choice. ( do not include quotes)
Replace "Your Password" with a network password of your choice.(do not include quotes)
Name new folder whatever you'd like. EX: I named mine Tether Bat Files.
Go into that folder and right click and create shortcuts for both bat files.
Cut and paste both shortcuts onto your desktop.
Right Click and choose properties on shortcuts.
Click Advanced under the shortcut tab.
Now choose "Run as administrator".
Click on the "Start Thether.bat" shortcut to start your network.
Connect to that network via wireless from your phone.
Open and run TetherX and note Proxy address.
Open Browser ( I use IE, yours may vary) choose settings.
Open Internet options.
Click on connections tab.
Click on LAN settings.
Under Proxy section input proxy address and port number that TetherX displays on your phone(app must be open). *NOTE Tether X changes proxy address if you stop and re-start connection so double check correct address was entered.

Close all tabs boxes remaining open if you haven't done so already.

Open browser and enjoy !!

When your done click the Stop Tether.bat shortcut

*** DATA USAGE WILL STILL BE COUNTED AGAINST YOUR PLAN
*** NOT RESPONSIBLE IF YOU GO OVER YOUR DATA LIMIT

let me know if I need to edit anything .. wrote this out real quick like :D

Thank You to the makers of TetherX .. It gave me the motivation for this post !!

Attachments

• Start Tether.txt
    118 bytes · Views: 124
  • Stop Tether.txt
    38 bytes · Views: 95
Last edited:
To prevent people from going over their plan, is there a program (like 3G Watchdog on Android) that would monitor usage?

On WP 8.1 I have a built in app called Data Sense. It shows both cellular data and wifi. Also for my provider they have a app that you can log into and check a generic progress bar to show how close you are to being throttled.

The catcher about Data Sense would of course be that you have to calculate the difference of what you used on an actual wifi connection compared to using as an adhoc connection.

I will have to swap my sim and check out my WP 8.0 to see what they have for that.

** this of course will work for other carriers but I have only tested with cricket.

Back