• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Intel 4670k or other Intel cpu? +which mobo?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Brigapes

Registered
Hi!
I've already got a lot of help from this site and my friend, just like me, is upgrading CPU + MOBO, since he is a huge Intel fan, and i'm AMD, he refuses to get a cheap FX, so because i have no idea about Intel CPU's, i've come here to help with which one to choose? As for me before i was sugested i5-4670k and/or 4770k which is far more expensive, but will it work under 400€? (€ Because i live in Europe)

Thanks, all the help is much appreciated! :D

the i5 you listed should be plenty powerful. Only in heavy multithreaded tasks will the FX-8350 trump the i5. However in most cases, for single core performance and multitasking, you'd probably better off with the i5. From the benchmarks I've read, majority of the cases i5 comes out on top. But depends on your usage, and needs. What are they? Based on that, you can have your answer. Also, an overclocked i5 with proper cooling, can be hella fast., Ravi

Is it gaming or what are you going use this for??? As for CPU 4670K is fine and a Asrock EX6 would be fine!!

I can say that the Z87 series by Asus is phenomenal. I have the Z87 Plus with an i7-4770K and can easily reach 4.4ghz on stock cooler (not advisable) topping out at 85C

My friend is like a newbie overcloker, something like, that he oc's and leaves it like that, his best oc was up to the 4,7Ghz I THINK with 2600k. Also (since i'm doing the build) i have no clue what mobo to take, since i have the choice limited, i was thinking about z87-k/z87-c but i dont know if it's good, also IT HAS TO BE ATX format.
Not to mention it has to be under 150€, so here are the prices of mobo's i have avaible and i think are ok:

Z87-K(C2)

Z87-C(C2)

Z87-A(C2)

Z87 PRO3

and

Z87-PLUS (But quite over price)

And which one is ok? And how much is the diffrence betwen i7 4770 and i5 4670?

(Also i want to check about FX-8350, because i heard that is almost even with the benchmarks compared to the i5, but when i5 4670k is used for benching, it takes 100% load, but when the FX-8320 is beign benched, it uses up to 70%, which practicly means that it could be better than i5 when using background programs, because i5 fps would drop, but on FX it wouldnt (And sorry for English))

I have the Z87 plus. It's an awesome board. Check asus website for different features. All of them have great functionality. I believe they all come with AI suite 3. Which is an awesome utility for system monitoring and real time overclock within windows. Also has auto overclock features.. And as far as the benchmarks, it depends on usage. Heavy multithreaded might be better for 8350. But even newer haswell chips can spank it in some benchmarks. Also keep in mins you're comparing a quad core to an octo core. AMD chip has more cores yes, but hands down i5 architecture is more efficient and has better single core performance which can correlate to an overall better end user experience depending on the usage

Let's ask this again, what is the computer being used for?

Oh yeah sorry, i tryied cont cting him, it's basicly for gaming and Animation programs like AutoDesk 3DS MAX 2013, that's also the reason i try to convince im for FX, since it has more cores, i would believe it would render the whole animation faster right?

Oh yeah sorry, i tryied cont cting him, it's basicly for gaming and Animation programs like AutoDesk 3DS MAX 2013, that's also the reason i try to convince im for FX, since it has more cores, i would believe it would render the whole animation faster right?

Definitely an FX-83xx or i7-4xxx is in store for him.

A 4770K system will beat an 8350 system at those tasks.
Also, a few things for you to consider:

An 8350 needs a $200 board to overclock to the moon. A 4770K needs a $130 board. So really, the price difference is not that massive when you consider that.

Also, while the 8350 is comparable to the 4670K at most things, worse at a lot of others, and better at just a few, it is better in this case for the kind of work you will be doing. So definitely pick an 8350 or a 4770K. I vote for the 4770K though. It's just a better part.

Z87a. Unless u need additional features such as more sata controllers, wifi or Bluetooth.

So a bit expensive Z87-A should do it? It can handle a bit of OC-ing too?

So basicly this configuration should work?
=

i7 4770
Z87-A
GTX 650 Ti AMP! Edition
Corsair ValueSelect 1333 Mhz 2x 4Gb (Posible upgrade to 2x 8gb 1600 Mhz)

And finally a cheap LC Power 600W PSU - But will it hold with the i7? Because i know it's not just Watts that matter on PSU, is it good enough?

Edit: Can i get a cheaper MOBO, but still as good as Z87-A?

Last edited:
So a bit expensive Z87-A should do it? It can handle a bit of OC-ing too?

Yes and yes.

So basicly this configuration should work?
=

i7 4770
Z87-A
GTX 650 Ti AMP! Edition
Corsair ValueSelect 1333 Mhz 2x 4Gb (Posible upgrade to 2x 8gb 1600 Mhz)

Run 1600Mhz RAM. 8GB is fine but don't go lower than 1600Mhz.

And finally a cheap LC Power 600W PSU - But will it hold with the i7? Because i know it's not just Watts that matter on PSU, is it good enough?

I don't agree with the use of cheap power supplies. They can go to hell in a handbasket and take your whole system with them. Or just plain fail. Either way, you're replacing hardware.

Edit: Can i get a cheaper MOBO, but still as good as Z87-A?

The Z87-A is the cheapest Z87 motherboard I personally would build with.

Yes and yes.

Run 1600Mhz RAM. 8GB is fine but don't go lower than 1600Mhz.

My friend has currently a 1333, but what sort of diffrence does it make i have a 1333 myself, and runs quite well, how much is tge diffrence

I don't agree with the use of cheap power supplies. They can go to hell in a handbasket and take your whole system with them. Or just plain fail. Either way, you're replacing hardware.

But the friend already has one

The Z87-A is the cheapest Z87 motherboard I personally would build with.

manu2b said:
He should get rid of it.

Agreed. It's like saying your friend's son doesn't need a new pet because he already has a cobra. Should he really have a cobra? It could bite and kill him. Why not switch to a nice, reliable kitten. :thup:
Corsair CX500 will be nice, cheap, and reliable.

Agreed. It's like saying your friend's son doesn't need a new pet because he already has a cobra. Should he really have a cobra? It could bite and kill him. Why not switch to a nice, reliable kitten. :thup:
Corsair CX500 will be nice, cheap, and reliable.

XD Nice comparison, but here's the problem, he barely afford's the 4770k which theoreticly means that he 'cant' change PSU, + when i said 'Cheap' i meant 35€ cheap, which is like 45 or 40 bucks cheap.(Or 50 :p dont know for sure)

Also as much as i just googled around for like an hour, they can only harm over a longer period of time, so he still be getting like a year before the cobra will be bitting his kid.

Right?

Edit: Forgot, How about a Z87-C? If i get one of those, why is it a badder choice than a Z87-A?
P.S.: Sorry for grammar

Nope, not right:

3 years ago, I got used a cr...y PSU to replace one in RMA, and it burnt (litterally burnt!) after 6 days...

Your friend better get an Asrock z87 Pro3 for €85 and a good PSU. The MoBo will allow a good 4.4/4.5GHz overclock if cooling/chip does.

Back