• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

major problems with new computer. wont turn on

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Swatman

i recently built my first computer. and not surprisingly when i go to turn it on nothing happens, so i take it out of the case and take off the heat sink and try turning it on. it works except the graphics card is dead. ok so i send the graphics card back and boot outside of the case on my 7800gt everything works fine. i put the motherboard back in my case and again the computer wont turn on. i have the copper standings in all the right places.

a buddy suggested that its the backplate of my 120 extreme, so i put electrical tape around it and back in the case and it still wont work. it refuses to turn on inside the case

im redy to give up and send all the parts back because im so disgusted

***UPDATE***

COMPUTER TURNS ON BUT THERE IS NO SCREEN

Last edited:
yep working on it with him now hopefully to see whats wrong, funny how i said make a thread to see what other ocf members say and it boots

Last edited:
Heres some thoughts:

Put a 1cm square of tape on the back of each motherboard through hole where the post contacts the via.

Go barebones with the hardware to start: 1 stick ram, video, cpu/hsf, power only to mobo/video.

Try and power up without using the cases power sitch. Short the power pins with a screwdriver. Sometimes the switches can bum out.

Just systematically rule out things. Take your time. Troubleshooting is frustrating, but don't let it get you in a knot or you end up making rash decisions.

corsair 620w modular psu

doing a clear cmos now

okay new problem pc turns on but no screen it boots up than turns off and than boots up with no picture but we had a boot screen when outside the case but now we finally get it to turn on inside the case and have this problem =/

Last edited:
I had a similar problem with my latest build. I was pretty frustrated for a while until I discovered the problem. Turned out that one of my blue LED 120mm case fans was just a bit to big for the space provided on the back of the case. Apparently when I squeezed the fan into its place, the prongs of one of the LEDs poked through the white tape that was wrapped around the fan and made contact with the side of the case. Somehow this disrupted the circuit or something and prevented it from turning on... The moral of the story is CHECK EVERYTHING. It doesn't take much to throw off your computer.

Back