• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Trying out the dark side

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

trents

Okay, I finally took the Intel plunge. I've had an Asus P8Z68-VLX laying laying around for some time that I bought off another forum member. This afternoon I picked up a used i5-2500k off ebay for $145. Was going to go for a 3570 but the price on the 2500k presented enough differential that I went for it instead. The P8Z68-VLX is not a high end board but good enough I think to get a decent overclock on the 2500k especially with my Noctua DH 14 sucking off the BTUs. I'm also planning to add some aftermarket hea tsinks to the mosfets.

I jumped to the 2600K from my FX-6300, not overly impressed to be honest.

Yeah, but I imagine that the i7 won't overclock as high as the i5 with the same motherboard and cooling and for gaming most people prefer the i5 anyway because of those factors. The HT technology of the i7 really improves performance in some kinds of tasks but not others and it adds a lot of heat. Really I'm not expecting a lot of difference by any means over the FX-6300. As much as anything else I just want the experience of overclocking an unlocked Intel as for lots of years now I've been exclusively AMD.

Yeah, but I imagine that the i7 won't overclock as high as the i5 with the same motherboard and cooling and for gaming most people prefer the i5 anyway because of those factors. The HT technology of the i7 really improves performance in some kinds of tasks but not others and it adds a lot of heat. Really I'm not expecting a lot of difference by any means over the FX-6300. As much as anything else I just want the experience of overclocking an unlocked Intel as for lots of years now I've been exclusively AMD.

Here's the experience: Set the multiplier and vCore.

Here's the experience: Set the multiplier and vCore.

Yes, I know it is much simpler but by experience I meant more how the Intel responds to the multiplier and voltage changes both from a performance standpoint and a heat standpoint. My understanding has been from what I gleaned from others is that they are stable at hotter temps than AMD CPUs.

Ole son you just will not dew. Hehehe. Trents is doing some fixing stuff and wants to slice the bread from different bakeries.
RGone...ster. << :screwy:

Oh, I understand that, I'm just saying that was my experience from the same mindset of "I want to try something new".

Its not anywhere near as fun as AMD for overclocking, and I've already found that my FX did feel better during general-usage multitasking.

Edit: What temperature you're limited to doesn't really matter as long as you can remove the heat produced by the wattage.

use offset voltage, disable all c-states (except *c1e), leave speed step enabled, and raise multiplier to desired level. if system crashes around bios, boot up, or desktop, raise offset voltage by one or two keyboard taps.

repeat until stable.

Last edited:
Okay, I finally took the Intel plunge. I've had an Asus P8Z68-VLX laying laying around for some time that I bought off another forum member. This afternoon I picked up a used i5-2500k off ebay for $145. Was going to go for a 3570 but the price on the 2500k presented enough differential that I went for it instead. The P8Z68-VLX is not a high end board but good enough I think to get a decent overclock on the 2500k especially with my Noctua DH 14 sucking off the BTUs. I'm also planning to add some aftermarket hea tsinks to the mosfets.

Oh that's a bummer. Should have gotten the 3570K for it stomps the 2500K. The 2500K is like running a Phenom II quad core while the 2500K has better memory bandwidth but clocks like mad. At that point a 5ghz 2500K is going to be faster than a 5Ghz FX quad.

In reality, AMD's decision to cut transistors to add more cores was a complete flop. Personally I would have been happy with 3.8ghz+ stock x6 Phenom II architecture over FX, but the grass grew on the wrong side of the hill that summer. A poor attempt to have an 8 threaded Cpu and high clocks that don't help anything in the single threading performance world.

It was a shame to purchase a brand new i7 3770K at MC when they had the sale in store. That and a board for the same moneys as AMD FX-8w/e cores, it was obvious the only TRUE upgrade path.

Aside from all that :blah: :blah: :blah:

Welcome to AMD's only upgrade path. Next time get the bigger one :cool:

I've already found that my FX did feel better during general-usage multitasking.

Not sure what is making it seem that way, but you certainly are not the first one to respond in that manner.

I have some of both around the house and all but my laptops are punched up by some amount and when I get on my FX-8350 rig it just feels smoother. Same video card in both. I cannot for the life of me understand the more fluid feel of my FX rig.

Don't get me wrong, I can use any of my rigs, but the odd thing is just a 'feel' of my FX thang. Strange world.
RGone... << :screwy:

It's worth the learning experience Trents but you'll be bored with it in a couple of days.
To be honest IMO the only time my FX "feel" snappier than the 4770k I when I don't have quite enough voltage on the INTEL. Then I'll see some obvious delays when soft is launching especially HWMonitor for some reason and NVIDIA Inspector. I'm assuming since they have to dig a bit deeper into the hardware. That's my experience anyway.

Could it possibly be a chipset difference accounting for the difference in feel?
I mean, if the mouse and keyboard input are faster on AMDs chipsets, that alone could be it.

I've also read about Linux low-latency kernels, and in fact tried one out. I loved it! It feels so much snappier then normal. I wonder if AMDs bios could be optimised for low latency operation? That is wild speculation.

Oh that's a bummer. Should have gotten the 3570K for it stomps the 2500K . . .

Welcome to AMD's only upgrade path. Next time get the bigger one :cool:

You think there is that much difference between the 2500k and the 3570k? I know the 3570 has a better GPU but apart from that is there really much difference? Smaller fab so less heat with 3570 but same amount of the various levels of cache. From what I've read the main difference is the stronger GPU component and if discrete graphics is being used I wouldn't think there would be a big gap otherwise.

Ole son you just will not dew. Hehehe. Trents is doing some fixing stuff and wants to slice the bread from different bakeries.
RGone...ster. << :screwy:

Yes, that's it. When I work on other people's computers I like to have done so from the context of having played with the technology myself.

I think the Intels generally had a ~15% increase in performance over each successive release as well Trents

Speaking of feeling "snappy," right now I have a Celron G530 in the motherboard. Overclocked a measly .1 ghz to 2.5 as that's all the increment the system bus would stand and be stable. But it's really snappy feeling compared to my dual core AM3 AMD chips that are clocked considerably higher.

Another thing I like is the land grid array of the Intels vs. the pin grid array of the AMD chips. No bent pins with the Intel CPUs. What I don't like about the Intel socket is the push pin mounting of the coolers. That is a PITA!

Well enough with the blabber about which is better lets see what that 2500k can to Mr T! It seems with the Sandy's that they can only go so far then that is it. Hope you have a good one, I had high expectations for mine which did as high as 5.3 on a Cm 212 @ 1.48 Cpu V and 4.5 24/7 on the same cooler at 1.3 Cpu V if my memory serves me correctly. Though,that was as high as it would go. It will not do 1 mhz higher no matter how cold I get it or how much voltage I put into it.

Not sure what is making it seem that way, but you certainly are not the first one to respond in that manner.

I have some of both around the house and all but my laptops are punched up by some amount and when I get on my FX-8350 rig it just feels smoother. Same video card in both. I cannot for the life of me understand the more fluid feel of my FX rig.

Don't get me wrong, I can use any of my rigs, but the odd thing is just a 'feel' of my FX thang. Strange world.
RGone... << :screwy:

Yeah, with the deal I got on this CPU/mobo I can't complain though.
I've definitely seen other people mentioning the same thing.

:shrug:

Good luck with your endeavors Trents.

Just ordered a refurbished H100 from Egg for $48 to cool that 2500k when it comes. This will be my first foray into water as well. Hope I don't get one that leaks.

Don't worry so much Trents, they don't usually leak. Maybe the pump quits or they have a blockage but never heard of one leaking. Just messing with ya. The one I have works great Trents, definately better than an air cooler.

Back