• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

r9 290

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

xrelic

Registered
Hi all I just ordered a r9 290 I would like to know which aftermarket cooler is a good buy for this card to lower temps thank you

I've seen people put the Accelero Extreme III on there with good results. Be careful as with some cards (XFX maybe?), removing the factory HSF voids the warranty.

I can't remember what the Acceleros cost and what temps they produced, but another option would be to buy just the cooler (if you can find one on ebay or somewhere) from a Sapphire Tri-X. They seem to be killing it in terms of air cooling for the 290s.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/r9-290-accelero-xtreme-290,3671-4.html

I've seen people put the Accelero Extreme III on there with good results. Be careful as with some cards (XFX maybe?), removing the factory HSF voids the warranty.

I can't remember what the Acceleros cost and what temps they produced, but another option would be to buy just the cooler (if you can find one on ebay or somewhere) from a Sapphire Tri-X. They seem to be killing it in terms of air cooling for the 290s.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/r9-290-accelero-xtreme-290,3671-4.html

Ty my good sir I shall look into that one

I own 2 Arctic Accelero III's and they are awesome aftermarket heatsinks. I've seen significant temperature drops on my cards with them. They are also very quiet, nearly inaudible at 100% fan speed. Note they are large through!

cant seem to find artic 3 in stock anymore there is a artic 4 but idk if that performs good like the previous one

Looks like the IV is the updated version, they added a backside cooler and a support bar which are both nice improvements, otherwise it looks like the same cooler.

Looks like the IV is the updated version, they added a backside cooler and a support bar which are both nice improvements, otherwise it looks like the same cooler.

What do you think of that kraken g10+corsair h75 combo?

What do you think of that kraken g10+corsair h75 combo?
The only thing that would concern me is if the H75 isn't enough rad to cool the 290. You should look and see if you can find any reviews and if anyone has paired that heatsink to a R9 290 or 290X.

I recently bought a kraken g10 + h55 for my r9 290 but now i have the vrm1-2 dilemma any recommendations on what to buy to keep those temps in check? vga heatsinks that fit? or should i destroy my original cooler i seen pictures ?

Last edited:
Back