• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Lapping

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Zerius

Registered
In your opinion whats the most important part of lapping, apart form smooth surface, is it like sandpaper, water ect.? I think its waht kinda lube you use, I used sahampoo with water, and got a mirror finish outta my 600 grit xD

flatness is. i like to lap on a peace of marble that was a old floor. its nice and flat and i have had good results from it.

as for lube i just use some soap and water and go utpto 2000 but that isent nessary.

If you want flat get one of these: http://www.grizzly.com/products/G9647

That will get you about as close to perfectly flat as humanly possible. It is what I have, the only downside is that they weight a ton. Suprisingly though shipping is cheap! I payed less than $20 for the surface and shipping.

for me i use a grinding stone wrapped with some sand paper and i use water as a lube. I grid the bottom of the hs with a permanent marker so i can see if i get it flat. once i have gotten rid of all the gridlines with 220 grit i do the same in a diaginoal direction to the first grid and sand thoes away with 500
then its just polishing from 1000 1500 2000 grit... comes out to be a crazy mirror finish.

LOL i was about to post asking how do you lap, because ive never done it before but i saw this and now i know, thank you :beer:
time for me to lap my Frezzer pro because my temps actually shot up compare to my old stock :bang head
for the polishing part, do i use a polishing compound? will it effect the preformance? will some residue be left behind?

Do not polish the base as polish eats into the base creating pits, which is exactly what you're trying to remove by lapping in the first place.

I'd recommend wet and dry sandpaper. Going finer and finer. Don't go rounding in circles, move it in 1 direction only. You'll end up with a mirror finish if you do it right anway. Be careful to apply even pressure to the heatsink at all times.

My best result was with a ThermalTake PIPE101 heatsink. Made about 6 degree's difference. Damn that heatsink performed well (with a 120CFM fan). With a powerfull fan that heatsink would outperform all else with exactly the same fan. Problem was, due to the density of the fins, a powerful fans was the only thing which would make it perform well. With lower powered fans most other heatsinks performed better.

I got my best overclock with my old Athlon XP 2500+ Barton with it, from 1.85GHz up to 2695MHz, with a desktop (non mobile) part. ;)

Now look at me, I don't even overclock anymore.... :beer: Silence is now more important to me.

Last edited:
I just lapped my Ninja last week because it was concave and had a nice little divot near the center. Just sat down with varying grades of sandpaper up to 2000 grit, zoned out to the idiot box for a few hours, and didn't stop until it was as flat as possible. Then for kicks, I did the same to my 165, although I stopped just shy of lapping the serial number and stepping code to unreadability in case I ever want to sell this one.
What was the result?
Well, after four hours of lapping, reinstalling the CPU and HS resulted in an immediate 5c drop in temps, and this was comparing a fresh bead of AS5 to the old coating that had set in.
In my opinion, flatness is the only important thing to worry about. While grinding the surface down to a mirror finish is nice, flatness is far more important. I lapped the base of the Ninja and the IHS on my 165 until I started to get a nice hermetic seal, and it certainly paid off; where my load temps were 46c before lapping, they don't pass 39c at the same speed and voltage.

Back