• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

would like to learn without going to school

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

smc1185

Registered
How can I get started in coding and programming what are all the names of computer language and what are the best ones to work with any advice and tips would be greatly appreciated thank you all

With the help of the internet coding/programming is much easier than it was in early years - there are hundreds of tutorials online etc. that are all free that can assist.

There are 100's of Computer Languages, to answer which one is best, is impossible. Each language has their pros, and con's. What are you looking to code/programme? Websites, games, and so on.

If you let us know what you had in mind for coding/programming, it will allow us to help in suggesting a suitable language to use. Typically all computer languages are similar, just with different syntaxes.

Each person is different in abilities, I have known people who could jump straight in to coding and not need any help, while others will struggle; which is not un-common; it is after-all learning a completely new language.

My learning steps with web-based coding, HTML, JavaScript etc. But I eventually slowly progressed through Java, and C++; I am not amazing at any of them, but I know enough to write simple programmes. I have always been more of a designer over a programmer; but this will change over the years as I am slowly going back to programming.

I could lie, and say it will be easy; but it is not going to be. But it is an interesting thing to do, and a proud moment when you click run and your programme comes to life, and works. It is mostly trail and error, you can use the internet to find stepping stones, but these are pointless unless you plan to stick at it, honestly.

IMO In the modern era understanding how to find info in the API documentation is far more important than learning a particular language. I jump on random projects, in random languages all the time and its no issue. Why because I under stand the logical structure of what Im trying to make it do, and I know how to look up with X language Y function/object class is and how to call it quickly.

That said there's alot of good resources out there anymore. If you are the type who learns well from books get one on HTML/JS or intro C++/Java for starters. If internet resources do better for you start doing searches for <language> programming examples/tutorials and that will lead you to find a lot of great info too.

Thank you all for you're help I want to do gaming and what ever the doors will open for me language wise I don't/know how to pick because this is something new basically want to know about it and what can you do with it

Back