• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Comparing Performance between EVGA 780 Classy vs. MSI 780 Lightning???

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
First the warranty:
My experiences with EVGA RMA is beautiful. I've sent back a few cards over the years and I've never had an issue. The longest I've had to wait is 3 weeks. The one MSI card that I had to send back it took about 6 weeks and it took a lot more back and forth before they agreed with me that the problem was with the hardware.

Second the toys:
The cooler on the lightning technologically speaking is superior with its trifrozr design. Each fan is controlled independently based on the temperature of different components. Having said that the difference between ACX and the trifrozr design is also within a margin of error in final temperatures. The top logo on the msi will also change colours based on how much the card is being used compared to the classy's light intensity option.

Finally performance:
The difference between the brands if they are all clocked the same are all within the margin of error. Each brand will try to convince you that they are better using flashy tech names but in the end none will succeed. You will be more limited by the luck of the draw as far as what the card is capable of over which brand you choose. If you are planning on watercooling I believe the lightning allows for slightly higher voltage (100mv) but if you care about that I'm sure a custom bios on the cards would make them equal.

Tho MSI makes, on occasion, a decent enough product, their RMA/Support service sux major ones. I never had any luck with MSI at all.

Asus, on the other hand, makes awsome products. 9 out of 10 products I have own were great. Their RMA/Support service is top notch with high end products. For mid level products it's not too bad, they just drag their feet a bit and you need to set a fire under their behinds to get them to move, lol.

Is it to early to ask for performance comparison's results between the two cards?

Just asking out of curiosity.
I have the review completed but its on hold while we sort out some issues...

That said, out of the box the Classy is faster since it boosts to a 20MHz higher core (ram is the same). They are quite close though regardless.

Not sure if a matrix is coming out. That said they, along with the galaxy hof, will all be VERY close to each other performance wise. Unless you plan on taking them cold anyway, there are much cheaper alternatives available.

Will Asus make a flagship 780 card or are they just going to stay in the background?

Their flagship so far is the GTX 780 DirectCU II. I'm also waiting on an item to finish the review (BIOS that supports higher power target). It's a heck of a card, just needs that BIOS to take advantage of the easy volt mod capability. I doubt they'll be coming out with something higher than the DCU II, there isn't really much else they could do.

That said, out-of-the-box, the DCU II's performance is below the others' because they don't clock it as high at stock. Overclocking is done yourself, and it clocks just as good as any 780.

Pics:

asus-gtx780-dcuiioc-08.jpg

asus-gtx780-dcuiioc-40.jpg

Back