• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Where to get office cheap

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

jmh547

I bought my dad a new laptop and now he needs office (or at least word) xp or newer preferable. Where can i find it for cheap (legally)?

If there is a student in the house grab the student/teacher edition. Can be purchased online really cheaply from a site that is listed here in the cyberdeals someplace (I don't see it right now, but it was very easy to find previously......)

I can get you the office 2007 professional plus for $89 from school.

It has

word
powerpoint
excel
access
infopath
outlook
publisher

and this is a FULL license for you to use. Not the one you have to use depending on your school status.

You can find an old copy of office as it is fully compatible unless you need the newer additions to it, which he doesn't. I personally run office 97 pro. It will satisfy 99% of office users.

You can find an old copy of office as it is fully compatible unless you need the newer additions to it, which he doesn't. I personally run office 97 pro. It will satisfy 99% of office users.

Is Office 2000 and XP (2002) still supported? Office 97 is just a little too old (and missing some features) for my tastes. Office 2000 was a new product at the time with improvements made to Outlook, Excel, and Frontpage. Office XP/2002 was based on Office 2000 with some minor improvements. I had clients from my prior job still using Office 2000 on vista in a networked exchange environment. So long as you update the Office suite (all of them are available on M$'s site) you won't have any functionality issues. And unless you're an advanced user there's really no need for the latest Office products. And best part is that they have plugins that will allow you to read the newer Office version documents, so you'll always be able to read what others send and they'll always be able to read what you create because their newer versions are backwards compatible.

I looked on eBay and there's a lot of overpriced junk on there right now. Maybe you can find one second hand, a lot of people retiring computers out there. FWIW neither Office 2000 or XP/2002 require activation.

Until 6 months ago I was using Office XP and had been for about 4 years with no real issues. I only went to Office 2003 because work offered it as a freebie upgrade. No real functionality difference. Only advantage is that M$ is still releasing security and software patches for 2003. I think they've stopped all support for Office XP and 2000.

I can get you the office 2007 professional plus for $89 from school.

It has

word
powerpoint
excel
access
infopath
outlook
publisher

and this is a FULL license for you to use. Not the one you have to use depending on your school status.

I am a student at Penn State... they want $199 for office 2007 pro which apparently is their sale price :bang head

I went to msdn and it tells me that penn state's license has expired and only offers me .net

I am still going to keep looking for a student version somewhere, if anyone finds a website where i can get it let me know

thanks guys

Back