• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Made it to the 2nd interview with Microsoft!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

technoViking

I'm not sure how I can recall my old thread because its not displayed but I made it to the 2nd interview and final interview! wee!

Hi Cory!
Thank you so much for your patience while we have come to a decision about your candidacy. Congratulations, I am recommending you for SDE interviews!. Please take the time to read this email in its entirety because it contains contact information, what to expect during your interview day, tips on how to best prepare, and a lot more valuable information. If you have any questions please let me know because I am here to help.
A WEEK OR 2 PRIOR TO YOUR INTERVIEW:
You should hear from a recruiting coordinator within the next 7-10 days to schedule your interview. I am recommending you for an elite Microsoft Recruiting Event, which has a set date. This event will feature the top candidates as well as the top teams within Microsoft. There will be great presentations, social mixer and a chance to speak with the most desired teams within the company will take place during this time, as well as your regular interview loop. This session will take the same amount of time as a standard interview, but it will have a ton of great content and extras. I hope you enjoy it. This correspondence will most likely come in the form of an email (the recruiting coordinator will email you first and if they cannot reach you via email they will then try the phone number on your resume).

1. IF YOU AREN’T CONTACTED WITHIN 2-3 DAYS OF THIS EMAIL, PLEASE LET ME KNOW. I WILL FOLLOW UP AND ENSURE THAT YOU ARE SCHEDULED IN A TIMELY MANNER!
2. If you have other offer deadlines, please let me know so that I can get you in to interview in a timely manner.

TIME AROUND THE INTERVIEW DAY:
If you arrive in Seattle early or get an extra day after your interviews are done, take time to tour the city. See the sights, eat at a great restaurant, and soak up the Seattle scene. I can give plenty of recommendations if you have specific interests.
:santa:

Sweet! Congratulations, sir. :D

BTW, this warrants a new thread, as the previous one has been derailed beyond all recognition. Also, at the bottom of the page in each forum, you can configure what sort of time frame you would like to see posts displayed, etc. May be the reason you can't see your original thread.

My condolences on being recruited by the dark side of the force. =P

hah thanks!

Actually I'm not wanting to work at Microsoft because I think their products are superior, they just work on some neat stuff. They are pushing out new things or stealing it from other people, still, its programming that is exciting to me rather than boring products thats the main reason I want to work for Microsoft.

I would like to work for google but they never sent me a phone interview :(

At the second interview they ask you to kill younglings.

My understanding is that most Microsoft employees make up a job so that they aren't constantly assaulted with every bug anyone finds in MS software.

I applied at Google a while back and never got a phone interview. They are hot right now. I remember they hired a string of bloggers not long ago. They also hire a lot of PHDs.

Google is the sexy company nowadays, not Microsoft. Microsoft is kind of old and stodgy while Google is much more modern and interesting.

I can't believe you're trashing (actually I can) his second thread MRD, give it a rest...

Good luck techno, maybe they will send you to diversity training if you get a position :D

I agree google is > microsoft but I'm not going to refuse Microsoft because I think Google is cooler. I take small steps.

If I beef up my resume enough perhaps one day I will work at Google. They will see I've worked at IBM and if I get into Microsoft that will also be a bonus. They are all competitive companies to get into so the more the marrier. I know I'm not super intelligent (and google is looking for super intelligent people) so I'm not holding my breathe on google but I still applied for ****s and giggles. The more work experience the easier it will be to get into google. Like Microsoft liked me because I submitted 3 patents and developed an application that IBM wants to integrate into one of their networking products they sell to customers. While most other co-ops couldn't get 1 patent out nor do anything useful but create a weaksauce webpage.
Things like that impress employers when they know you like to think outside the box and develop new things that benefit the company.

I need a job that is going to pay the bills and keep me occupied in the mean time so I'm not being that picky.

Last edited:
You know, people keep burning MS for this and that. They still use their products! WTF?!

Personally there are things I like and dislike about each of the MS product offerings but overall it is still a great company that creates so much for it's user base. Visual Studio is just one example.

Google is great, Microsoft could be better but they are still awesome. I would love to work for Microsoft. My company is thinking of sending me to the boot camp for MCPD Certification. Getting a certification like that boosts your status in the programming world considerably but it is still a MS certification. Someone must still think MS is pretty darned good to think highly about their certifications.

As for MS stealing other company's software, that is a load of moo poo. Look at everything that is invented today. Someone invents a plasma TV, Panasonic sees this is a good device and then they "steal" it and improve on the design. No one screams that Panasonic steals their stuff from Hitachi or Samsung or Toshiba. If this "stealing" were true, then we all steal from SciFi movies and TV shows because they generally have the cool tech ideas that we want so someone tries to make it in real life and most of the time succeeds in one way or another.

Just my rant.

Back