• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Takes 5+ tries to get my computer to boot

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
It was in a slot that was causeing problems with the build, I moved it from the topmost slot on the Motherboard, and put it into the second highest slot, which is coincidentally further away from the Northbridge resulting in a cooler NB.

I also used compressed air on the video card connections and the two slots to make sure it was seated correctly and cleanly.

Too good to be true, I booted my pc and got nothing. Then I turned it off and turn it on and it booted fine. It's like the new PCI slot just restarted the issues

Oh god, I was fearing that might be the culpret, are you sure thats it? The computer beeps, and stays on, it's not like it shuts off right away. I can run video card and CPU stress tests for like an hour (furthest I've gone without getting nervous) and the computers fine

Only real way to test my theory is to get a new power supply and see if it still happens

It could be PSU or motherboard. Could you borrow a PSU from someone just to test? With the erratic nature of this thing, however, I would lean toward the motherboard being the problem. What kind of PSU is it and what wattage?

mikeymop, please post your system info in your "Sig" so we don't have to go searching for it every time as this string stretches out.

Oh god, I was fearing that might be the culpret, are you sure thats it? The computer beeps, and stays on, it's not like it shuts off right away. I can run video card and CPU stress tests for like an hour (furthest I've gone without getting nervous) and the computers fine

I asked you if you tried Resetting instead of powering off all the time.
if a Reset gets it going (the second time) but everytime after the first power on, then it might further identify the PSU as being The Weakest Link.

it wouldnt hurt to test, or even to reset immediataly after every Power On, before it leaves the bios (meaning you dont want to reset when the OS is starting up)

I have run my "The Beast" computer that way for a long time , its power supply was barely enough for the computer, i would just reset the few times i did a power on, and it would get going, so i just ignored it, after all it was 80 years old, and eventually retired :D having it on life support was no big deal.

I asked you if you tried Resetting instead of powering off all the time.
if a Reset gets it going (the second time) but everytime after the first power on, then it might further identify the PSU as being The Weakest Link.

it wouldnt hurt to test, or even to reset immediataly after every Power On, before it leaves the bios (meaning you dont want to reset when the OS is starting up)

I have run my "The Beast" computer that way for a long time , its power supply was barely enough for the computer, i would just reset the few times i did a power on, and it would get going, so i just ignored it, after all it was 80 years old, and eventually retired :D having it on life support was no big deal.

I'm holding the power button down until the blindly runing system shuts off. I dont know if that constitutes as a reset or a total shut down. But it's completely manual, with the power button and my finger.

Usually, "reset" refers to using the other button on the case's front panel, the "reset" button which you push and release quickly to restart the computer. It doesn't result in the power being turned off but it does instantaneously restart the computer. It will function like that at any point in the operation of the computer, from pre-post up to already loaded in Windows.

What kind of PSU do you have and how many watts does it put out. As I requested above, please post your system info in you "sig".

When you completely shut the system down and re-boot that is called a "cold boot" like when you first start a PC. When you hit the (typically small), re-set button and the system re-starts without a complete shut down of the PC, that is called a "warm boot".

Holding the power button in until the system shuts down, then releasing and pressing the power button again to re-boot the PC is a "cold boot". You can use the small button for a "warm reboot" for most re-booting operations unless instructed otherwise. It's electrically easier on the hardware than a cold boot which has higher surge currents than a warm boot.

Oh! I see, the reset button doesn't function in this case, I have triede pressing it to no avail.

Oh! I see, the reset button doesn't function in this case, I have triede pressing it to no avail.

Sounds like its disconnected or its broken or improperly connected to the wrong pins. You should check that out. Its just an interrupt switch. You could do the same thing with a screwdriver tip placed across the pins where the Reset button connector fits to the motherboard. Your motherboard manual will tell you which pins are for the reset button.

I've forgotten, did you build this computer or was it pre-built. If your info was in your sig I wouldn't have to ask that.

I built the computer, and it's odd I put the info in my sig and it didn't show. Let me check that.

I built the computer, and the reset button works in the BIOS and the OS. just not in the weird state it's in.
Today the problem didn't show up and the computer booted first try, either it was a fluke, or the computer is slowly weeening into the problem again

EDIT:
Upon posting the updated signature appeared

I was randomly watching Youtube, and the monitor flickers yellow then showed vertical lines. and then went yellow. The speakers buzzed for a second then continued playing the audio for the video.

I unplugged the monitor and plugged it into the other DVI port on the video card (VGA to DVI dongle) and the screen stayed black. I pressed the reset button and te computer booted fine and I played the video fine.

So after almost a month of perfect operation, the problem came back. I didn't change my hardware configuration at all. This time the computer wont post until I flip the switch on hte power supply and flip it back on.

And this morning that didn't even help, I flipped the switch off and on and on the second try booting up the computer it beeped, showed the BIOS screen for a slipt second and then died out again.

I eventually opened up hte computer, unplugged my old IDE dvd drive and checked the SATA plug on my harddrive and it booted. I dont know if it's coincidence or if its something related to the DVD drive not being used anymore. Do you guys have any idea on what to do?

Back