• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

MAJOR Issue...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Norcalsteve

I finished my First bigadv... at the time it was "finishing" and wrapping up before it even uploaded and downloaded a new one... I Ctrl-C the wrong keyboard for my "other computer" which was actually my Bigadv rig, and i killed the program... When I started it back up, it is now RESTARTING the entire W/U...

Any thoughs how to fix? I cant "send completed worker units" because It didnt compile it

The only thing I can say is never hit ctrl-c after 100% before you see the WU counted in the log. The bad part about starting over is the timeout is going to start when you first downloaded the WU, so your bonus is going to get hammered.

Wow,... words cannot explain how mad I am right now... "MISSIN_WORK_FOLDER"... Cleaning up folder... No finished Worker units...

Is there a message thread to appologize to PG for dyslexia, and killing a COMPLETED 2.5 day Bigadv? Fin, Deleted, Gone, End, Bye Bye, Ciao, Hasta Luego...

I should chop my hands off.

The only thing I can say is never hit ctrl-c after 100% before you see the WU counted in the log. The bad part about starting over is the timeout is going to start when you first downloaded the WU, so your bonus is going to get hammered.

100% agree with you! I though I was on a completely diffrent Computer...

Not exactly the same context, but I've BTDT in regards to hitting the wrong command with the wrong keyboard. I don't put keyboards next to each other any more, AT LEAST 2 feet of separation is required.

No help to your points, but we've all lost work units from various causes, and know the feeling quite well. Indeed, that's how we discovered that you can easily lose a wu, if you stop a client, at that time.

Yeh sucks that you lost probably a 400k WU. We've all been there, although my lost wu's were "luckily" about 50% done. I learned to backup my bigwu folders before I muck around in the system.

I would have posted 306k with that w/u... oh well, live you learn. I mainly feel real dumb, but learned a valuable lesson... Talk about flash backs from Basic Training and WOCS... "PAY ATTENTION TO DETAIL!"

I am just not going to touch my rig what so ever... Heck I forum/game with my Laptop/iPad... so there is no need to touch my rig.

Thanks for sharing Steve; I had no idea the process was so delicate at that moment. Almost makes me want to install a UPS because the last time I had a power outage it took me 30 mins to get all the machines back up as they are not setup to resume folding automatically. While my losses aren't as terrible I just realized I've been folding in low power settings for the better of 24hrs. That's a loss of 2/3 of my points for that GPU for that period.:(

Thanks for sharing Steve; I had no idea the process was so delicate at that moment. Almost makes me want to install a UPS because the last time I had a power outage it took me 30 mins to get all the machines back up as they are not setup to resume folding automatically. While my losses aren't as terrible I just realized I've been folding in low power settings for the better of 24hrs. That's a loss of 2/3 of my points for that GPU for that period.:(
Since I have somewhat spotty power supply reliance I got an APC UPS as our power is generally excellent yet goes down for a sec or two which kills both my systems. No one up here ever bothers resetting their machine times, like a nuker etc.

You know how it is; when a power fluctuation takes down the machines, you take advantage of the situation to install updates and do tweaks. So it always takes me some time to get everything folding again. Doesn't help that half the rigs are offsite either. Been thinking how much easier to manage a single uber folding machine compared to what I juggle now. Food for thought.

I know I just bought this rig, but I am seriously looking at a quad interlagos or some crazy server... That will be after tax season though ;-)

You would likely come to the conclusion that your lowest end rigs aren't worth folding on and that GPUs are only worth it in the winter. I still have a fair number of single core rigs running, but none fold, and my GPUs only run in the Winter. The 2600K brought me to this conclusion. A new 4P rig would probably get me to pull the plug on GPU folding altogether and dump my dual core rigs. I don't think I'd stop my Q6600s.

Could I actually pull the cord? Can one ever fold enough?
Yes, and for the most part, it felt good. Just a day ago, I pulled the plug (pulled from socket) my last Folding GPU. I've had it - too much heat, too high a power bill, too much money sucked out of the hobby/Folding budget that could be spent for more productive hardware.

But every completed work unit furthers the science, right? Well, sure, but now resources will be more readily available for more significant upgrades:

G34 2P up and running
parts to convert said 2P to a G34 4P are shipping today
probably another multi-processor Folder later in 2012...

I could not have justified recent expenditures without cutting my power usage (real money zapped from my home economy, month after month). 18 months ago it was over 3kW/h; now it's way less than 1.5kW/h. Month of over month, that amounts to real money saved, which means opportunity to procure more efficient, more productive Folding hardware. :)

Well, I see all these people dropping for 2 and 4p rigs... How do I get in on the band wagon? Is the thread that TC and Mac are on the way to go? 4p Interlagos... Or would a dual Xeon be the thing to do... Where the heck do y'all shop!?!? if I act now, I could sell the rig I just built for face value, take 1-2 months off of folding, and build me a server... I have a laptop for gaming and everything else, so my big rig is for folding... I got kids too, that helps pass the time better :)

It is THE way to go if you want to get that involved with FAH. In the other thread (on [H]ard's forum), some of the responders were backing away from the IL cpu, because it's performance was disappointing, compared to the MC.

OK, so the IL with 16 cores, is slightly slower than the MC with 12 cores. Somehow they forgot that the IL is almost half the cost of an MC (IL 6272@ $539 vs. MC 6172@ $1,017).

The risk is that the Pande Group will again change the bigadv points structure. A few years back, it was the addition of the Cell processor in the PS3, that stood us on our ears - they burst onto the FAH scene, and suddenly could out fold everything! :shock: PG had to cut back on the pointage they could make, to keep the computer folders, from mutiny. :D

Then it was the GPU's turn, and they were tearing it up with their tremendous folding speed, and huge ppd! :shock: Fast yes, but still with a much smaller memory, and those cards were burning through power as fast as they were folding.

Now, PG wants to work on larger proteins, and to do that in a reasonable time frame, they need a large number of multi-core server-type, folders - and bigadv was born. There are other folding projects that are working on the smaller folding problems, but they don't have the big iron to tackle the bigger folding questions - they aren't FAH, by a long stretch.

This is all beta stuff, so what the future will hold is anybody's guess. My guess is that FAH has come full circle. CPU >> Cell >> GPU >> and now back to CPU, but with an emphasis on multi-core processing. FAH will ALWAYS want large server type hardware, to handle it's wu's, and will reward that commitment to it's science, with more points. Bigadv wu's may stop any time for the servers, according to Pande Group, but I doubt it will happen in 2012, and I believe you'll always be rewarded well in points. Whether it's at the high rate of today, or at the standard SMP level, you'll always be earning more points with a 4P IL server rig (6272 or up), than any single processor rig.

The competition for the 4P boards out today, will be the 2P SR boards rumored to be coming out in 2012. They would have to improve by more than 50% over the SR-2 boards, and cut their power needed by a substantial amount, to equal the 4P IL boards out today.

I have tried folding on rumors of better hardware, and found it to be "over-rated". :rofl:

If you want to make that kind of commitment to folding, you can't do better than the 4P server boards, and that has AMD stamped all over the choice of cpu. On a point/dollar basis, or a point/kwh basis - it's the most efficient folder atm, and I don't see that changing any time in 2012.

Macaholic chose the 6272 IL, and that is the "sweet spot" model for price/performance, in the IL, imo. I shop on-line, NewEgg being "home base", but any other reputable seller is OK. (SuperBiz, etc). I avoid Ebay with very rare exceptions.

Yes, that was an excellent summary! I already made the desicion to start to "Server fold"... just gotta save some money, and possibly see my new build rig ;-P

Thanks, Leonardo and Norcalsteve. FAH has been an interesting project to watch, as it zigged and zagged in unexpected ways.

Back